none
What is the best way to load a Bibligraphy Source list at startup on several machines? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - We have an xml Source List we generate from Sharepoint libraries every day.

What is the best way to load this xml Source List on Word startup - for all computers in a domain?

Is it necessary to write a plugin or is there some way of doing it within Word?

Cheers!

Josh

Josh Ash

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Josh,

Word's Bibliography entries are held in the file 'Sources.xml', which is normally located at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Bibliography\Sources.xml

If you update/replace that file for each user, they'll all have the latest bibliography data. You don't need to use Word to update that file, though you can do so if you want to. A couple of caveats:
    • If you replace the file, you risk deleting bibliography data that users have created for their own purposes;
    • Whether you replace the whole file or just specific entries, that alone doesn't guarantee that all documents using the former versions of those entries will be updated.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Josh,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I think your goal is not clearly enough for community members. I suppose you whant to update you Bibligraphy every time in specific document. Is it right? I think it will make more senese to develop a document-level to handle it instead of a add-in (I suppose the plugin in your post means add-in).

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Tom

What I am after is a way of updating the Bibliography Master Source list on a machine, not just for a specific document.

Josh Ash

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Hi Josh,

Word's Bibliography entries are held in the file 'Sources.xml', which is normally located at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Bibliography\Sources.xml

If you update/replace that file for each user, they'll all have the latest bibliography data. You don't need to use Word to update that file, though you can do so if you want to. A couple of caveats:
    • If you replace the file, you risk deleting bibliography data that users have created for their own purposes;
    • Whether you replace the whole file or just specific entries, that alone doesn't guarantee that all documents using the former versions of those entries will be updated.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:01 AM