none
error in deploying bi-lingual application on multi-server farm where application server is separate from database server RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    hi,

    we are developing a bi-lingual application with the following:

    database = oracle 10g (we are using the nvarchar2 and nchar columns for strings)

    os = Server 2003 Standard x64

    setup =   web server --> apps server --> db server.

    the pages are in web server. the web service is in apps server. database in db server.

    the application when tested in development machine (database, pages and web service are in the same unit), the application saves both languages correctly. however, when we moved to our test and production environment with the above setup, the non-English entries were no longer being saved correctly in the database. we tried directly inputting into the database, and it perfectly saved the non-English. it is only when we enter the data from our pages that non-English are not saved. the pages can display the non-English data which we used for reference tables (for example, on drop-down list of countries).

    what could be the problem here?

    thanks in advance.

    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:56 AM

Answers

  • There is nothing automatic about Asp.net localization you have to use System.Text.Encoding for you application layer and save each page with relevant code page with VS2005/8 advanced save as.  And you need to use the correct language collation in Oracle.   That means each language goes to a separate table or database to avoid character conversion.   I am assuming you know that you use AnyCPU build option instead of x64 even if your Win2003 is also x64.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c6zyy3s9.aspx
    Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    • Marked as answer by nomad2008 Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:39 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:53 PM
    Moderator
  • thanks a lot.
    after adding the following lines (value of uiCulture was set to the second language), the pages are already working fine.

    <configuration>
      <system.web>
        <globalization
          fileEncoding="utf-8"
          requestEncoding="utf-8"
          responseEncoding="utf-8"
          culture="en-US"
          uiCulture="de-DE"
        />
      </system.web>
    </configuration>
    • Marked as answer by nomad2008 Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:39 AM
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:38 AM

All replies

  • There is nothing automatic about Asp.net localization you have to use System.Text.Encoding for you application layer and save each page with relevant code page with VS2005/8 advanced save as.  And you need to use the correct language collation in Oracle.   That means each language goes to a separate table or database to avoid character conversion.   I am assuming you know that you use AnyCPU build option instead of x64 even if your Win2003 is also x64.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c6zyy3s9.aspx
    Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    • Marked as answer by nomad2008 Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:39 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:53 PM
    Moderator
  • thanks a lot.
    after adding the following lines (value of uiCulture was set to the second language), the pages are already working fine.

    <configuration>
      <system.web>
        <globalization
          fileEncoding="utf-8"
          requestEncoding="utf-8"
          responseEncoding="utf-8"
          culture="en-US"
          uiCulture="de-DE"
        />
      </system.web>
    </configuration>
    • Marked as answer by nomad2008 Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:39 AM
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:38 AM