none
How to import very old Access dB? Maybe version 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a very old Microsoft Access application that we want to open.

This link explains how to do it using Access 2007 but Access 2013 tells me it can't do it.

We really need to reopen this thing and upgrade it to run under a modern version of Access.

We are not that interested in the data but more interested in the macros and vba in order to see how we did it back then.

We actually found our old Access 2.0 disk but are concerned abut attempting to install it on a Windows 7 Pro PC which has Access 2013 installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Friday, July 17, 2015 9:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is no way to convert 2.0 to 2013. You must use an earlier version. I think 2003 will do it, but I'm not sure. You might have to go further back. And I certainly would not install 2.0 on anything newer than XP. Talk to your local schools/libraries or maybe a small computer repair shop. If they have Access 2000 - 2003 they might be willing to let you convert your file.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, July 17, 2015 9:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by L.HlModerator Tuesday, August 4, 2015 8:59 AM
    Saturday, July 18, 2015 1:47 AM
  • We have a very old Microsoft Access application that we want to open.

This link explains how to do it using Access 2007 but Access 2013 tells me it can't do it.

We really need to reopen this thing and upgrade it to run under a modern version of Access.

We are not that interested in the data but more interested in the macros and vba in order to see how we did it back then.

We actually found our old Access 2.0 disk but are concerned abut attempting to install it on a Windows 7 Pro PC which has Access 2013 installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

If you would like to put the database on OneDrive and supply the link, I will be happy to try and convert it for you.
    Saturday, July 18, 2015 1:59 AM
  • Access 2.0 is using a Jet 2.0 database, which is no longer supported, and cannot be opened directly. Access 2013, Access 2010, and Access 2007 all use the same file format, you can import an Access 2.0 database into an Access 2007 file then you can use Access 2013 to open it.
    Monday, July 20, 2015 9:14 AM
  • ..............you can import an Access 2.0 database into an Access 2007 file then you can use Access 2013 to open it.

Is that really the case?  This is what Office Support at the link Tom posted has to say:

"You can import tables, queries, and macros from an Access 2.0 database (.mdb) into an Office Access 2007 database (.accdb). You cannot, however, convert an Access 2.0 database to the Access 2007 file format by using Access 2007. To import forms, reports, or modules into an Access 2007 database, you first convert the database by using an earlier version of Access, then open the converted database using Access 2007, and then convert the database into an Access 2007 database."

At face value it sounds like an intermediary version prior to Access 2007 will be required for the OP to access the VBA code, which is one of his stated aims.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Monday, July 20, 2015 11:05 AM
  • I concur, Ken. As I said in my earlier post, you have to go from 2.0 to 2003 in order to get the VBA code.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Monday, July 20, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Access Basic to VBA actually, and you can't use 64-bit Windows to convert either because it depends on a 16-bit app called msacnv30.exe. This app doesn't ship with Access 2003 either BTW, you need to find Acc2Conv.exe to install it or copy msacnv30.exe and msacnv30.dll from an older Access install.

Yuhong Bao

• Edited by Yuhong Bao Sunday, October 15, 2017 4:04 AM
    Sunday, October 15, 2017 3:56 AM