none
Manually Create SB and WF Databases RRS feed

• Question

• Environment:Windows Server 2012 Standard; SQL Server 2012 Enterprise; SharePoint Server 2013

Attempting to install and configure Workflow Services.

Successfully installed Service Bus 1.0, Workflow Manager 1.0 Workflow Manager Client 1.0

Run As account is server administrator and has sysadmin, db_owner and security_admin rights on SQL instance. When I run the Workflow Manager configuration wizard (with default settings):

The test connection with the server instance is good.

Successfully enter credentials for the "run as" account.

check the  "Allow over Http and Enable Firewall boxes.

Enter a Pass Phrase (Certificate Generation Key)

The Summary Page Displays.

When I execute the Wizard, it fails on the first step (Create a New Service Bus farm.)

Log is pasted below..... The SB and WF databases are not being created although all prerequisites for SQL and run as account have been met.

[Error] [12/28/2012 1:37:55 PM]: System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: An object or column name is missing or empty. For SELECT INTO statements, verify each column has a name. For other statements, look for empty alias names. Aliases defined as "" or [] are not allowed. Change the alias to a valid name.
    An object or column name is missing or empty. For SELECT INTO statements, verify each column has a name. For other statements, look for empty alias names. Aliases defined as "" or [] are not allowed. Change the alias to a valid name.
    An object or column name is missing or empty. For SELECT INTO statements, verify each column has a name. For other statements, look for empty alias names. Aliases defined as "" or [] are not allowed. Change the alias to a valid name. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An object or column name is missing or empty. For SELECT INTO statements, verify each column has a name. For other statements, look for empty alias names. Aliases defined as "" or [] are not allowed. Change the alias to a valid name.
    An object or column name is missing or empty. For SELECT INTO statements, verify each column has a name. For other statements, look for empty alias names. Aliases defined as "" or [] are not allowed. Change the alias to a valid name.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.Execute(Expression query, QueryInfo queryInfo, IObjectReaderFactory factory, Object[] parentArgs, Object[] userArgs, ICompiledSubQuery[] subQueries, Object lastResult)
       at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.ExecuteAll(Expression query, QueryInfo[] queryInfos, IObjectReaderFactory factory, Object[] userArguments, ICompiledSubQuery[] subQueries)
       at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.System.Data.Linq.Provider.IProvider.Execute(Expression query)
       at Microsoft.ServiceBus.Commands.Common.ServerManagementStoreDataContext.CreateServerOperatorLogin(String loginName)
       at Microsoft.ServiceBus.Commands.Common.SecurityHelper.CreateServerOperatorRole(String accountName, String connectionString)
       at Microsoft.ServiceBus.Commands.NewSBFarmBase.ProcessRecordImplementation()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at Microsoft.Workflow.Deployment.ConfigWizard.CommandletHelper.InvokePowershell(Command command, Action`3 updateProgress)
       at Microsoft.Workflow.Deployment.ConfigWizard.ProgressPageViewModel.CreateSBFarm(FarmCreationModel model)

If anyone can help it is very much appreciated.

Additionally, if someone can help me with creating these databases in SQL (scripts), I will create them and try :Join and existing farm)

Thanks in advance, Bill

Friday, December 28, 2012 6:41 PM

All replies

• Opened a ticket with MS and last night was informed that if your domain is similar to domain.com\username (with .com being part of your domain name), the Workflow manager configuration wizard strips out the .com. This causes a problem while creating the databases because the accounts (dbcreator) on SQL are using the domain (domain.com\username).

I'm told there is nothing that can be done and hopefully some time in the future a fix will be available.

Friday, January 4, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Hello Bill,

The database creation happens with the 'current' account credentials (the one you have logged in) and not the WF/SB 'runAs' account you provided in the wizard.

Please check that you account has DBAdmin permission (as well as local admin on the machine).

Regards,

Ziv, Windows Azure Service Bus team

Friday, January 4, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Hi Ziv, Thanks for the reply. After opening a support ticket with MS it was determined that the issue was with the Workflow Configuration Wizard. Our domain name contains ".com" (company.com). Apparently this is a problem for the configuration wizard. I'm told that it strips out the .com and therfore there is no valid account available to create the databases.

We attempted to do the configuration manually using powershell but experienced the same results as i provided above.

The "run as" and the logged in account are the same and have sysadmin rights on the SQL server and is a local admin as well.

It doesn't sound like there is much i can do unless the team who developed the configuration wizard modify it to leave the .com in a domain name intact. I can't imagine that will happen any time soon, so i will have to attempt to do without workflow.... lol

Thanks, Bill

Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:07 AM
  •  I had to add an additional host name in etc/hosts, first in the list, and without a period in its name. E.g. 10.20.30.40 myhost.com => 10.20.30.40 myhost myhost.com

Then just use "myhost" in the config.

And be sure you run all config as admin, of course.

Then, not only did this error disappear, but the entire install worked.

Hubert-Associates.eu

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Could you be more precise about the target of the added line in the host file

Is it your sql server address ?

Thank's in advance.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:40 AM
  • Tzarad,

I know this doesn't actually solve your problem but just in case anyone is interested on how to manually create at least the workflow databases. The SQL scripts are installed as part of the workflow manager tools and can be found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Workflow Manager Tools\1.0\Scripts folder.

It has the scripts for WFInstanceManagementDB and WFResourceManagementDB.

Thanks,

Kent

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:55 PM
  • They have released an update to the Workflow Manager 1.0 installation package here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2799752?wa=wsignin1.0 .... I hope it helps you. -bill
    Monday, March 4, 2013 12:30 PM