none
What is my best option for replication SQL 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I run an instance of SQL Server 2012 and have approximately 20 db's used on various applications.  I run a single server for this instance and simply run backups multiple times a day. I would like to expand on this and replicate in real time to a separate server located at another site for redundancy and possible even fail-over.  I dont work much in sql server, so I would like options that I have for implementation.   
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:03 PM

All replies

• I would use log shipping for this.

However, if you are hung up on using replication, transactional or snapshot replication might be good fit.

Log shipping is far simpler to do and has less dependencies and requires less babysitting.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:40 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, does log shipping support failover?  Is log shipping the same as transnational replication?
    • Edited by Uintas Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:50 PM
  • To do automatic client redirection and failover you would need to use mirroring or Always On Availablity Groups.

For replication you would need to do client redirection, for log shipping you would need to do client redirection and failover. Failback with replication is difficult. It is pretty easy with log shipping.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:54 PM
  • Hi Uintas,

I would consider using Always On Availability Groups which support data synchronization and failover a group of databases. But in SQL Server 2012, it is a enterprise feature. Which version of SQL Server are you using? Run select @@version to check it out.

Best Regards,
    Puzzle
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 2:54 AM