Large Enterprise applications. RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have several applications still using vc6 and vb6.  We started porting over our applications to Winforms a few years ago.  We have a few of them in winforms but it has come with a huge performance cost using managed code.  With that being said I am going to do something that I know I will regret.  I am going to ask advice on what Microsoft environment would be best fit for a true Enterprise Applications.  It seems to me that Microsoft is moving away from winforms and making a transition to WPF.  I do not want to develop any more applications in a language that Microsoft is planning to move away from.  When I say enterprise applications I am not talking about Visual Studio 2010 written in WPF.  I am not talking about simple sales and marketing applications.  The word enterprise to me means, one of the applications we are planning on rewritting has over 3 million lines of code. It has 250 or more forms and data input screen that have 100's of input controls per screen.  There is no way to reduce the number of input controls the application requires the information. Yes we use grids for data input as well but some of the data can't be used in a grid. We have moved the business logic to a middle ground so I will not need for the front end to actually perform the business logic.  I just need something capable of displaying input controls in some kind of timely fashion. Please feel free to add some comments even if I regret it :)
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 10:02 PM

Answers

• WPF can't handle large amounts of data. Winforms is trhe only wasy way to go with .NET.
    • Marked as answer by CSSIWV Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:35 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:35 PM

All replies

• WPF can't handle large amounts of data. Winforms is trhe only wasy way to go with .NET.
    • Marked as answer by CSSIWV Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:35 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Why WPF cant handle large amounts of data?  I am in the process of looking at WPF instead of WinForms for our apps, have not come across amount of data as a bottleneck yet.  It is almost all the time, the learning curve for VB6 developers, it is easy to transition to WinForms than WPF which forces them to think differently.

Gaja Kannan

Monday, March 26, 2012 5:23 PM
  • First off, it is not clear to me what you mean by "environment"? Presentation layer? If so, WPF is a way to go. Once your developers can write XAML, you can target both WPF and Sliverlight/RIA. Note that learning curve for WPF is very steep. It is built on compltely different principles. You would need to use right design patterns (like MVVM), frameworks(I would consider Prism or at least MVVM Light),  have some third-party WFP controls, understand Blend. All of these takes time.

-Stan

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 1:42 PM