Implementing Database Mirroring on Transactional Replication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have Server A on which there is heavy replication with the databases and to other servers. Only few are Transactional databases on Server A, many databases gets data only by replication.

Now there is a reporting need and we are planning to implement Mirroring and have it set only for reports. We are planning to Mirror all databases (Transactional and Replication) databases from Server A and send them to Server B.

1. Do we need to have the same replication on Server B?

2. Is it possible to keep all the replication on Server A and just have a mirrored copy of all the databases on Server B ( which will be only read - only (no updates))

Really appreciarte your help

Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am not sure if I get the Point right, but let me try... You want a new server B for reporting only, taking data from databases on server A, which are either OLTP-filled or replicated into, right?

If so the answer is easy: If you do a mirror of all the DBs in question this mirror will of course also include the data that got replicated into Server A, so there is no Need for additional replication at that Point.

Friday, February 15, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Thanks much Prince!!!

WE do not have a FULL recovery model on the databases on Server A that gets data by replication. So.. we need to make those changes on Server A

Is there any other things that I need to care about.. 

Will mirroring affect the existing replication?

Any other pre-requisites to implement mirroring with transaction replication?

Thanks

Amy

Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Hi Amydom

Please refer : SQL Server2008: New whitepaper on combining transactional replication and database mirroring

Thanks

Saurabh Sinha

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem
    Monday, February 18, 2013 1:42 PM