Displaying a map via a URL inside a Word document? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a request to insert a map from a popular web based mapping platform. I have read that perhaps an ActiveX web browser control can be embedded in the word document. All I will be doing is displaying one location marker so as long as I can pull up a URL and have that URL displayed in Word things should be fine. Can this be done?
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:46 PM

All replies

• If you put the url into the document as a hyperlink then, provided the user's security settings allow it, clicking on the hyperlink should open up the relevant web page.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:46 PM
  • That is now what is being requested of me. I have to actually display the map via a URL which is constantly changing depending on the address. Copy pasting is not really an option. I need VBA to embed the map in word.
    • Edited by S.e.p.y Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:48 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:48 PM
  • If you mean embed as a live (i.e changing) image, I do not think this is possible.  As macropod stated you can put it in as a clickable link; or you could put it in a static image (via copy and paste) that is also a hyperlink.

What exactly do you mean by "constantly changing depending on the address"?

Word MVP

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:05 AM
  • So there is a Pro Forma Excel sheet with names addresses and details of properties. For each row a unique Pro Forma Excel row a word document is to be created. Included in the Pro Forma Word among many other text areas there is a map that is to be displayed. The display of the map is contingent upon the address field of that particular row in the Excel. So what I am seeing is that the idea is to have everything generated without the need for any user input. I have researched VBA capabilities in this regard and I see there are some possible solutions with Access to use an ActiveX web control and a good sample @ Dr. Dobbs but they are referencing ArcGIS and it is a lot of code so I decided to ask here... Thanks for your reply fumei2...
    Friday, June 22, 2012 8:26 AM
  • What you will need to do to get the images into Word, rather than their urls, is to automate IE so that it navigates to the web site, where you copy the map, then paste it into Word. Not an area I'm familiar with, I'm afraid.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, June 22, 2012 10:16 AM
  • My first option would be Selenium but now we are talking about VBA not Python or C#.
    Friday, June 22, 2012 8:20 PM