Can you assist guys for me to install .NET Framework 4.6 RRS feed

• Question

• User-337325487 posted

Hi There,

I'm trying to install .NET Framework on a test server to run a web app built in ASP.NET.  Could anyone help me?  Because it's built on .NET Framework 4.6.  I go into test server closest installed framework is 4.0. I tried to install Framework 4.6 and it says it has already 4.6 or later update.  Below is the message..  Helpppp!

Microsoft .NET 2015

Details

.NET Framework 4.6 or a later update is already installed on this computer...

Thank you and looking forward to your reply soon guys.

Orhan Erten

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:47 PM

Answers

• User753101303 posted

The "CLR" is the "runtime execution engine" or the "virtual machine" on top of which .NET Framework code is running.

CLR 2 is used by .NET Framework 2, 3, 3.5
    CLR 4 is used by all .NET Framework 4.x version

Try perhaps https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/clr that should show it is really the "low level" services for running code and so it is changed much less often. Then on top of that you have .NET Framework that can provide new features through new classes with each version (even if the code still runs using the same CLR version)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 4:24 PM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

It seems to be installed already. What make you think it is missing? Try perhaps https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/versions-and-dependencies to see which version comes with your server operatjng system.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:28 PM
  • User-337325487 posted

Hi Pat,

Thanks but  I have viewed in registery of test server and in there it has Framework 4.0 as highest software installed.  So therefore, this message is wrong, right?

Thanks.

Orhan

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:31 PM
  • User753101303 posted

What is your operating system and which registry key are you reading ?

It could be a confusion between ".NET Framework 4.x" which is basically a set of "DLLs" that brings new features each time and the underlying 4.0 low level "runtime" which is the same for all those versions.

Edit; see perhaps https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/clr

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:41 PM
  • User-337325487 posted

Hi,

Interersting.  Here is my .NET Framework key in registry and I'm on Windows Server 2016.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework

And it lists v4.0.30319       

Thanks,

Regards,

Orhan

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:53 PM
  • User753101303 posted

This is the CLR version and you'll see also apparently the supported SKUs under that....

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed to check the version. According to the earlier link 2016 comes with .NET Framework 4.6.2.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:57 AM
  • User-337325487 posted

Good Morning Patrice,

It worked, Thank You.  I went to the same article as well.  But I was looking in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319                          - .NET Framework

But they (MS :| ) actually wants you to look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full           - .NET Framework Setup

Thanks and Have a nice rest of week!

Orhan Erten (Systems Analyst/Engineer)

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 3:36 PM
  • User-337325487 posted

Thank you Patrice for good help.  What's difference between .NET CLR Version (I see in Application Pools info) and Actual version? Which version does ASP.NET web app use?

Thank you in advance.  

Regards,

Orhan

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 4:08 PM
  • User753101303 posted

The "CLR" is the "runtime execution engine" or the "virtual machine" on top of which .NET Framework code is running.

CLR 2 is used by .NET Framework 2, 3, 3.5
    CLR 4 is used by all .NET Framework 4.x version

Try perhaps https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/clr that should show it is really the "low level" services for running code and so it is changed much less often. Then on top of that you have .NET Framework that can provide new features through new classes with each version (even if the code still runs using the same CLR version)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 4:24 PM
  • User-337325487 posted

Thank you. So if my ASP.NET web app was built for .NET Framework 4.6, will it work on CLR 4? Application Pools info in IIS:

Name                            .NET CLR Version   Managed Pipeline Mode  Applications

DefaultappPool            v4.0                                Intergrated                     0

.NET v4.5 Classic           v4.0                                Classic                            0

.NET v4.5                       v4.0                                Integrated                      1

Thank you and Regards,

Orhan

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:08 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Correct.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:35 PM
  • User-337325487 posted

Thank you Patrice. Appreciated.

Regards,

Orhan Erten

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:43 PM