Copy and paste powerpivot cause that copied pivot automaticly change filter when I change the original pivot! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I guess it will be simple for You :)

Sth strange happened that never happened before

I have a simple pivot table:

Pivot 1.

BRAND

A

B

C

I copied this table to use as another one a little bit modified.

I need a pivot like this: (the same but not with all brands, only selected ones)

Pivot 2.

BRAND

A

B

When I copy Pivot 1. and change filter to select only a few brands this applies on both Pivot 1. and Pivot 2.

Why?

In need different filter in Pivot1. and different in Pivot 2.

I guess solution is simple but I have no idea.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:44 AM

Answers

• Did you have a slicer connected to the original pivot? 

The slicer connections will copy as well.  You should be able to manually modify the slicer connections by right clicking on the slicer or using the pivot menu options in the ribbon.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:58 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hello Gordonik,

I would like to know how you copy pasted pivot table?

Thanks,

Sagar K

Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:32 AM
  • Did you have a slicer connected to the original pivot? 

The slicer connections will copy as well.  You should be able to manually modify the slicer connections by right clicking on the slicer or using the pivot menu options in the ribbon.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi

I selected pivot than copied and pasted it in another place.

There is a slicer but I checked this case. Removed a slicer, copied pivot again and still the issue exists.

I did it many times and nothing happened. Strange. Maybe there are more slicers I forgot to turn off.

I will check after weekend and let U know.

Thanks Gents

Friday, May 16, 2014 7:56 PM
  • Hi

I selected pivot than copied and pasted it in another place.

There is a slicer but I checked this case. Removed a slicer, copied pivot again and still the issue exists.

I did it many times and nothing happened. Strange. Maybe there are more slicers I forgot to turn off.

I will check after weekend and let U know.

Thanks Gents

Hi Gents,

Have you solve this issue? Please let us know how things go.

Thanks,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 5:30 AM
  • Hi All

That was a slicer in another workbook connected to pivot.

Sometimes when U have many of slicers it is difficult to find those connected to a given pivot.

I had to check dozen of slicer to find the one.

Excel should hava a functionality to check this easy. Or mayby this functionaly exist but I am not aware.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Glad you got it fixed.

There are 2 ways to manager slicer connections to pivots/charts.

1. Right click on the slicer itself and you can see what pivots/charts that particular slicer is connected to.

2. When you are clicked anywhere in a pivot or chart you should see some new tabs in the ribbon labeled as PivotTable Tools.  In Excel 2013 on the Analyze tab where there should be a Filter Connections button.  Clicking this will allow you to see all the slicers connected to this specific pivot/chart.  In Excel 2010, this option is slightly more hidden.  Instead on an Analyze tab, you will see an Options tab.  On the Options tab, there is a drop down that says Insert Slicer.  The second option in this dropdown is Slicer Connections which will give you the same thing.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:56 PM
    Answerer
  • Mike

Thank you very much. That is excatly what I am looking for :)

Friday, May 23, 2014 1:37 PM