Linking Outlook Tasks to a Calendar entry RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to be able to programmatically assign a task to a calendar entry. For example I put a meeting in the Outlook calendar for 10th September to meet Bill Gates. I now want to assign the task "Write Presentation on New Outlook Functionality" to this calendar entry. This seems quite a logical thing to want to do. However there seems no functionality within Outlook, so I figure you can do this using .NET etc.

Can you advise?

Simon

• Moved by Sue Mosher Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:25 AM Outlook-specific, not VSTO question (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:08 PM

Answers

• You could certainly add references to the EntryID of a task to a user property in an appointment, but there's nothing like the Links collection used to link contact items to various other types. You'd have to completely design your own linkages and associations. There's nothing even close to what you want at any level in Outlook.

I did a hierarchical task project for my last Outlook book, that used a custom task pane to display a treeview control with related tasks. It relied on user properties to link the items. You'd have to create something like that from scratch, but doing what you want.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by deutscs Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:58 PM

All replies

• Only a person can be assigned a task, not a calendar item or other object type. Think about it, how could a meeting or appointment take on or complete a task?

What you want cannot be done.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
    Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"deutscs" <=?utf-8?B?ZGV1dHNjcw==?=> wrote in message news:cf5c749a-7728-4818-959c-c39069760667...

I would like to be able to programmatically assign a task to a calendar entry. For example I put a meeting in the Outlook calendar for 10th September to meet Bill Gates. I now want to assign the task "Write Presentation on New Outlook Functionality" to this calendar entry. This seems quite a logical thing to want to do. However there seems no functionality within Outlook, so I figure you can do this using .NET etc.

Can you advise?

Simon

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Sorry you misunderstand me. I know a person is assigned a task, but in addition I want to associate a task to an event. ie You put an event in your calendar, however you know that certain tasks need to be completed before this event can go ahead, these tasks are then delegated out to certain individuals. I know that Outlook cannot do this by default, my question is can you create a relationship between a task and a calendar entry programmatically, in addition to the relationship between the task and a person(s).

Thank-you for your help

Simon

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:12 AM
  • You could certainly add references to the EntryID of a task to a user property in an appointment, but there's nothing like the Links collection used to link contact items to various other types. You'd have to completely design your own linkages and associations. There's nothing even close to what you want at any level in Outlook.

I did a hierarchical task project for my last Outlook book, that used a custom task pane to display a treeview control with related tasks. It relied on user properties to link the items. You'd have to create something like that from scratch, but doing what you want.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by deutscs Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Many Thanks. That helps. Simon
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:55 PM