After applying Update 1 of VS2012 - Error:A content file required by the Help Viewer is missing or has been corrupted.

Question

• After installing the Update 1 of VS 2012, and starting Help Viewer,
    it displays the following error message and quits.

"A content file required by the Help Viewer is missing or has been corrupted."

As suggested in some earlier thread I have tried to reinstall the Help Viewer 2 but it doesn't help.

Any Help?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:10 AM

Answers

• I have solved the problem by changing the registry key at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node (on a 64-bit machine)\Microsoft\Help\v2.0\Catalogs

to my currently installed help content path.

Anyway bug is there in Update 1 for VS2012 and is really irritating.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:39 AM
  • I just installed VS 2012 Update 1 and got the same error

"A content file required by Help Viewer is missing or has been corrupted"

The problem effects users who have previously moved their help content store from the default location. Update 1 resets the LocationPath= registry paths back to the default location and recreates the old default directory. The help team acknowledge the problem and it is documented in the Help Viewer 2.0 Readme. I'll mark this as the fix so others find it quickly.

== Fix ==

Luckily the old help content store still exists after running Update 1.

eg. For me I had moved my store to:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\CatalogsMoved\ 

Both my registry locations reflect this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Help\v2.0\Catalogs
      ContentStore=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\CatalogsMoved\
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Help\v2.0\Catalogs\VisualStudio11
      LocationPath=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\CatalogsMoved\VisualStudio11\

But after applying Update 1 my second registry path is reset (as Chaz mentioned):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Help\v2.0\Catalogs\VisualStudio11
      LocationPath=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\Catalogs\VisualStudio11\

Once I reversed this mistake (so both registry paths to pointed back to my old content store location) help functioned correctly again. I also deleted the new empty default folder to keep things tidy.

PS.

For 32bit OS the remove \Wow6432Node\ from the reg paths:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Help\v2.0\Catalogs\VisualStudio11\

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpware.net | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Monday, December 03, 2012 10:46 PM

All replies

• I have solved the problem by changing the registry key at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node (on a 64-bit machine)\Microsoft\Help\v2.0\Catalogs

to my currently installed help content path.

Anyway bug is there in Update 1 for VS2012 and is really irritating.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Thanks for the tip. So in the registry at key

you set the "ContentStore" value to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\Catalogs\"

or whatever your correct content path is?

What was the incorrect value before you changed it? I'd like to know in case others have this problem.

Rob  

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpware.net | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Friday, November 30, 2012 6:51 AM
  • I have the same problem, but I've deleted the downloaded help content from my custom location (I supposed that this will fix the problem, but not).

My registry value after update 1 is pointing to:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\Catalogs\VisualStudio11\

but the ContentStore, IndexStrore subfolders has not a single file.

How can we repair this?

Friday, November 30, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Don't forget to edit the LocationPath value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node (on a 64-bit machine)\Microsoft\Help\v2.0\Catalogs\VisualStudio11  if you still get the same error.
    Monday, December 03, 2012 9:28 PM
  • I just installed VS 2012 Update 1 and got the same error

"A content file required by Help Viewer is missing or has been corrupted"

The problem effects users who have previously moved their help content store from the default location. Update 1 resets the LocationPath= registry paths back to the default location and recreates the old default directory. The help team acknowledge the problem and it is documented in the Help Viewer 2.0 Readme. I'll mark this as the fix so others find it quickly.

== Fix ==

Luckily the old help content store still exists after running Update 1.

eg. For me I had moved my store to:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\CatalogsMoved\ 

Both my registry locations reflect this path:

LocationPath=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\CatalogsMoved\VisualStudio11\

But after applying Update 1 my second registry path is reset (as Chaz mentioned):

Once I reversed this mistake (so both registry paths to pointed back to my old content store location) help functioned correctly again. I also deleted the new empty default folder to keep things tidy.

PS.

For 32bit OS the remove \Wow6432Node\ from the reg paths:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Help\v2.0\Catalogs\VisualStudio11\

Monday, December 03, 2012 10:46 PM
  • "Luckily the old help content store still exists after running Update 1."
    But I have no old help content (deleted thinking it will fix the problem). How can we repair the help in this case?
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:04 PM
  • To repair help go to Control Panel > "Uninstall" and find "Microsoft Visual Studio 2012" and select "Repair" from the context menu (this will re-install MS Help Viewer 2.0).

To manually blow away a store and make a new one:

1. Delete or rename the old store folder
      C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\Catalogs\VisualStudio11\
    2. Create a new store folder (can be in any location but remember to set the registry paths)
    3. Create a UTF-8 text file called CatalogType.xml
      C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\Catalogs\VisualStudio11\CatalogType.xml
      and fill it with this text (this enables the user to add content to the catalog): 
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><catalogType>UserManaged</catalogType>
    4. Make sure the 2 registry paths point to your directory
        ContentStore=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\Catalogs\ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Help\v2.0\Catalogs\VisualStudio11
    5. Lastly open the VS 11 Help Viewer and use the "Manage Content" tab to download content.
      To open the help viewer outside of VS 11 run 
      HlpViewer.exe /catalogName VisualStudio11

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 6:30 AM
  • From old content store you can install Help

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Thank you Bob, your manual step by step instruction fixed it, and was easy. No vs repair needed.
    Friday, December 07, 2012 11:45 AM
  • Agreed falcon 31.. main thing is your 2 registry items point to a valid content store folder and the catalog must has that special XML file. If one of these things are unsatisfied you have to fix. Hopefully this thread has enough info for developers to find their way out of most problems.

FYI: Catalogs outside the VS system (eg. Win 8 help) don't need the XML file.

Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Oddly enough, I just had to change two registry values. I don't understand why it took this much work to get other folk's to work.
    Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:06 AM