whihc patterns and best prectices to learn and use ? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1156041913 posted

I am an experienced asp.net developer who is new to MVC and looking for job.

On job interviews usually interviewer ask do you know pattrens or best pracitces ? Actually I was using coding best pracites but not pattrens. Some months back I have tried to learn more about pattrens and I am now very clear about Repository and UOF and there use in DAL.

But still dont know about many of them. Can you please Please PLEASE throw some light and help me getting a job.

I use to work in layers. Can you please guide which pattrens are used in which layer (BL, DAL, POCCO,UI) and which pattrens are obsolete now.

Thanks a lot for your precious time and helping me

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:48 AM

Answers

• User-488622176 posted

Developers need to understand design patterns at first. You should read the whole book on design patterns a few times before you'll understand them all. Then : apply what serves your purpose. Use them wisely, in a way it helps you. The purpose of design patterns is not to only use them because they exist !

Architectural patterns handle more architectural topics. The difference between architecture and design : architecture deals about the external visible aspects/components of a (complex) system, the different behaviors of these components (as visible from the outside world) and the interactions between those components. Design is how the components internally are build (classes, relations, ...)  Real seniors should also be aware of architectural patterns. But architects MUST be aware.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 8:00 AM

All replies

• User370135452 posted

Look for a book named 'Head First Design Patterns' by O'REILLY. It's very good one to learn patterns.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:52 AM
  • User-1716253493 posted
    http://apparchguide.codeplex.com/
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:23 AM
  • User-488622176 posted

You have design patterns and architecture patterns. For design patterns, the O'Reilly book is good. For architecture patterns, you can use the  AppArchGuide as mentioned by #oned_gk. For professional/enterprise usage scenario's, please also check this link : http://martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/

It is not the most recent version, but it is very good.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:14 AM
  • User-1156041913 posted

You have design patterns and architecture patterns. For design patterns, the O'Reilly book is good. For architecture patterns, you can use the  AppArchGuide as mentioned by #oned_gk. For professional/enterprise usage scenario's, please also check this link : http://martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/

It is not the most recent version, but it is very good.

Thanks Illeris,

Can you please clear the difference in design and architecture pattrens ?

What pattrens are to learn by developer or sensior developer initially ?

I got the book "Head First Design pattrens" but there are much details provided. What pattrens I should learn first ? Can you please guide which are most used and common ones to read and learn first ?

Much thanks for your time.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:13 PM
  • User-488622176 posted

Developers need to understand design patterns at first. You should read the whole book on design patterns a few times before you'll understand them all. Then : apply what serves your purpose. Use them wisely, in a way it helps you. The purpose of design patterns is not to only use them because they exist !

Architectural patterns handle more architectural topics. The difference between architecture and design : architecture deals about the external visible aspects/components of a (complex) system, the different behaviors of these components (as visible from the outside world) and the interactions between those components. Design is how the components internally are build (classes, relations, ...)  Real seniors should also be aware of architectural patterns. But architects MUST be aware.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 8:00 AM
  • User459659623 posted

I am an experienced asp.net developer who is new to MVC and looking for job.

On job interviews usually interviewer ask do you know pattrens or best pracitces ? Actually I was using coding best pracites but not pattrens. Some months back I have tried to learn more about pattrens and I am now very clear about Repository and UOF and there use in DAL.

But still dont know about many of them. Can you please Please PLEASE throw some light and help me getting a job.

I use to work in layers. Can you please guide which pattrens are used in which layer (BL, DAL, POCCO,UI) and which pattrens are obsolete now.

Thanks a lot for your precious time and helping me

You can use patterns as below:

(1) Business Logic Layer

(a). Domain Logic Pattern

(b). Factory Pattern

(c). Decorator Pattern

(d). State Pattern

(e). Strategy Pattern

(f). Template Method Pattern

(g). Adapter Pattern

(2). In Service Layer

(a). Facade Pattern

(3). Data Access Layer

(a). Repository Pattern

(b). Data Access Object Pattern

(c). Unit of Work Pattern

(d). Lazy Loading Pattern

(e). Proxy Pattern

(4). In Presentation Layer

(1). Factory Method Pattern

(2). Inversion of Control Pattern

(3). Service Locator Pattern

(4). Dependency Injection Pattern

(5). Command Pattern

(6). Model View Presenter (MVP) etc.

based on different condition and logic.

For more information Pls read the book. I think this will helpful for you

http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-0470292784.html

Sunday, June 30, 2013 1:17 AM
  • User-1067017023 posted

You can use patterns as below:

(1) Business Logic Layer

(a). Domain Logic Pattern

(b). Factory Pattern

(c). Decorator Pattern

(d). State Pattern

(e). Strategy Pattern

(f). Template Method Pattern

(g). Adapter Pattern

(2). In Service Layer

(a). Facade Pattern

(3). Data Access Layer

(a). Repository Pattern

(b). Data Access Object Pattern

(c). Unit of Work Pattern

(d). Lazy Loading Pattern

(e). Proxy Pattern

(4). In Presentation Layer

(1). Factory Method Pattern

(2). Inversion of Control Pattern

(3). Service Locator Pattern

(4). Dependency Injection Pattern

(5). Command Pattern

(6). Model View Presenter (MVP) etc.

based on different condition and logic.

For more information Pls read the book. I think this will helpful for you

http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-0470292784.html

It is incorrect to prescribe the use of 'this pattern' in 'this layer' or 'that pattern' in 'that layer'. Use a pattern if it fits the context.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:42 AM