none
Windows RT HCK test with Surface -tablet RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently doing Windows HCK pre-certification testing for customer, who is making USB-stick modem with MBIM interface. To pass certification, all of the test cases must be passed with Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT. At the moment only available platform for Windows 8 RT is Surface -tablet.

I have succesfully passed all other test cases except Win8.MBN.GSM.* -cases with Surface tablet. Current blocking problem is that when test starts to run on Surface, system shoots down WLAN-connection and test fails, since communication with HCK Studio is done over WLAN. So far I haven't found any way to keep WLAN connection up while performing  Win8.MBN.GSM.* tests.

Is there any way how these Win8.MBN.GSM.* cases could be executed with Windows RT?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any debug policy on Surface ?

Have you tried to run the test in debug mode ?

Regards.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:40 AM
  • Looks like that debug mode is available only with Surface Pro.

Root cause to this problem seems to be that te.exe triggers flightmode on and it drops all radio interfaces down including MBIM interface, what should be tested. Interesting part is that from Windows menu flightmode is off after test execution. So far I have found only two ways to activate radios again.

The 1st way to bring radios back to life is  to do network troubleshooting, where Windows suggest to try to enable windows wireless services with admin rights. After this dialog says that wireless services are not enabled on this device. However this procudure brings WLAN & MBIM back to life. 2ns way to solve this issue is to reboot whole device.

Some of these Win8.MBN.GSM cases can be executed with PASS result manually, but HCK studio won't see these pass results at all after it has downloaded all of the logs from test machines c:\wlk dir.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not familiar with Testing on Surface so I'm going to ask you a few questions :

Do you also have a DTMLLUAdminUser on Surface to be able to run test ?

Can you "root" a Windows Surface and if yes, are you still able to run test on it and submit a package to MS ?

Is your Surface totally up to date ?

I took a look at this link :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj124991.aspx

Are you sure the test isn't supposed to activate/desactivate Airplane mode on purpose ?

Have you installed Filers already ? Do some of these tests pass with filters ?

Regards.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, DTMLLUAdminUser is created when HCK ARMclient is installed and I am able to run test manually (havent tried all Win8.MBN.GSM cases through yet) and collect result logs manually without HCK Studio.

My Windows RT surface has all of the updates, which are available through Windows Update so everything on that front should be ok. I haven't had possibility to install filters yet, since I don't have dashboard account (on progress) and those HCK filters seems to be on dashboard forums.

I am pretty confident that airplane mode is called on purpose based on experiments on Windows 8 pro laptop, where these cases are passing. For example Win8.MBN.GSM.TestHomeProvider -case triggers this airplane-mode situation and from test case description I cannot see any point, where airplane-mode or radio-off is called.

BR,

Mikko

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:25 AM
  • What do you mean by running tests and collect result logs manually ? 

You can find filters here : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852367.aspx

If airplane mode is called on purpose it should reactivate it on purpose too.

Is there any parameters to set when you run the test ? 

Regards

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:32 AM
  • Thank you very much of this Filter-update link. Somehow I didn't find it when I quickly browsed msdn. Anyhow that update didn't contain anything to those cases, what I have tried, so no succesfull progress with this update.

With manual test running and log collecting I mean that after HCK studio's run attempt has failed, I just execute te.exe + testcase dll from c:\wlk directory with command, what can be found from failed case log-file. 

With these Win8.MBN.GSM cases there is not so many parameters, what you could set from HCK studio. So far I haven't seen parameter, what could trigger this airplane mode. This reminded me to recheck Win8 laptop env. It seems that radio interfaces are also shutdown on that front, but test execution is possible since ethernet connection to HCK studio stays alive and after test execution radio interfaces are up automatically.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:25 PM
  • It may be silly but are you sure that you've installed the ARM Client on Surface and not the classic Client ?

I don't think manual tests are exploitable, therefore if you can test if they work manually it may be a clue for resolving the issue.

If running the test doesn't ask you for parameters, it's probably that none is needed indeed.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Yes, I installed ARM Client to Surface tablet. By accident I tried to install classic client first, but it failed with clear message. So there is no way to make this mistake :)

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 6:57 AM