none
TP4 Container .WIM download RRS feed

• Question

• The link http://aka.ms/ContainerOSImage points to a 10514 release of the container wim file.  Is there a new link for TP4 (10586)?  I saw a demo by Microsoft that used the 10586 image, and was hoping it was accessible now that TP4 is available.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

This one caught me out too.

Container images are now downloaded via OneGet. The instructions are on: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/windowscontainers/management/manage_images

Shawn

• Marked as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

This one caught me out too.

Container images are now downloaded via OneGet. The instructions are on: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/windowscontainers/management/manage_images

Shawn

• Marked as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:27 AM
  • Thanks, Shawn.  I had read through that, but it makes the (invalid) assumption that all machines being configured with containers will have access to the internet.  My lab does not.  That is why I need to download the .wim file so I can move it into my lab.

Edit: I created a Windows 10 (1511) VM.  Downloaded using that.  Found some errors with the ContainerImage cmdlets.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Currently the OneGet cmdlets require internet connection. We understand your scenario and will look into ways to improve your experience.

Can you let us know what kind of errors you are running into when using the ContainerImage cmdlets?

Thanks

Krishna

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:09 PM
  • The instructions for obtaining the image (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/windowscontainers/management/manage_images?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#installing-base-os-images) say to use the command Install-ContainerImage -Name <name>  When I issue that command, it goes off and seems to process it by displaying a status bar showing progress across the top of the window, but then it errors out with:

Install-ContainerOSImage : The term 'Install-ContainerOSImage' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function,
    script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is
    correct and try again.
    At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\ContainerProvider\0.5.2\ContainerProvider.psm1:245 char:5
    +     Install-ContainerOSImage -WimPath $Destination `
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Install-ContainerOSImage:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

There is not option to specify a destination path for the Install-ContainerImage cmdlet, according to its help, shown below:

SYNTAX
        Install-ContainerImage [-Name] <string> [[-Version] <string>] [[-SearchKey] <string>]  [<CommonParameters>]

I find it interesting that the error message says there is a -WimPath parameter, but the help doesn't.

I then used the Save-ContainerImage cmdlet with a -Destination parameter value of C:\Temp.  It returned this error:

Please provide file name with path.
    At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\ContainerProvider\0.5.2\ContainerProvider.psm1:586 char:9
    +         throw "Please provide file name with path."
    +         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (Please provide file name with path.:String) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Please provide file name with path.

I entered a name for the file and it was fine.  I guess I was expecting it to work like a Copy command where it would default to the source file name, which is what I wanted, because I did not know the source file name.

So I then tried with a destination of C:\Temp\*.*.  It came back and asked me:

Overwrite File
    Do you want to overwrite the existing file: c:\Temp\*.* ?
    [Y] Yes  [N] No  [?] Help (default is "Y"):

Not quite what I would have expected.  Maybe my expectations are a little high to expect parameters that are asking for paths to work similar to a Copy command.

From the documentation on that page, it was not obvious that there was a an option to download.  Then I saw a note about Install and Save-ContainerImage not working in a remote command, so I figured I would try the Save cmdlet.  Would be nice to enhance the documentation on the Save-ContainerImage option for offline usage.

As stated at the beginning, I was able to get things to work, but I thought I should report this someplace.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:10 PM