none
PowerPoint 2010 CTP Not Showing Up XPsp3 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm troubleshooting a deployment issue that's giving me an awful lot of grief. We have a customer who is encountering an issue where the Custom Task Pane isn't showing up in our PowerPoint AddIn. We've tested and verified that the same build with the same version of Office functions properly in PowerPoint however we can't seem to identify what the problem is in this environment.

It's worth mentioning that the logic of the AddIn is stored in a shared assembly that multiple addin projects use. The same CTP code/logic is working on the deployment machines in the Word, Excel, and Outlook versions of the AddIn. Very baffling.

The machines are XP Pro sp3 w/ Office 2010 (32 bit v14.0.5128.5000 which is what I'm running locally as well). I've tried installing the 2007 PIA as well as the 2010 PIA just in case that was it but nothing seems to resolve this issue. Is there a known issue with PowerPoint 2010 on XPsp3?

Any input anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Casey

Normally, deployment isn't my strong suit, but I do have a thought for this particular scenario...

Is there any chance that other add-ins might be installed for PowerPoint that are interfering with your add-in? Closing the CTP, for example?

If you go to File/Options/Com Add-ins (1) do you see your add-in as loaded (and are any other of the add-in's tools available)? (2) Do you see any other add-ins listed that are not from Microsoft?

If (2) is true, if you unload those add-ins can you display your CTP? (I assume you do have a button that can turn it on/off)

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by CaseyMargell Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:26 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Casey

Normally, deployment isn't my strong suit, but I do have a thought for this particular scenario...

Is there any chance that other add-ins might be installed for PowerPoint that are interfering with your add-in? Closing the CTP, for example?

If you go to File/Options/Com Add-ins (1) do you see your add-in as loaded (and are any other of the add-in's tools available)? (2) Do you see any other add-ins listed that are not from Microsoft?

If (2) is true, if you unload those add-ins can you display your CTP? (I assume you do have a button that can turn it on/off)

• Marked as answer by CaseyMargell Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:26 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 6:52 AM
  • Hi Casey,

Have you resolved your problem yet, and does the suggestion help you? If you still have any concern on the thread, feel free to follow up.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. It took a little bit of time to get a response from the customer on this but apparently the issue seems to be caused by another addin. I'm going to be in touch with them regarding the issue and see if there's a known workaround or if they have an update to resolve the issue.

It's really baffling that another AddIn could cause problems for ours. Is there anything that can be done to better sandbox our addin against other addins?

Thanks again!

Casey

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hi Casey

<<It's really baffling that another AddIn could cause problems for ours. Is there anything that can be done to better sandbox our addin against other addins?>>

MS has made a lot of improvements in this area (another Add-in can't affect your Ribbon, for example), but since "everyone" shares the same application instance it's just not possible to "sandbox" everything.

The one possibility I know of would be to set all the add-ins to not load automatically, but only on-demand (Registry setting). Then have a "manager" add-in that does load automatically that takes care of loading all the other add-ins separately, in the order in which they're needed. This would have to be a Shared Add-in, if I remember earlier discussions in this forum correctly.

Or, the user could manually connect/disconnect add-ins. One could put the Com Add-ins button in the user's Ribbon and/or QAT to provide a reasonably accessible interface. I had to do that once for an entire Office, even back in the pre-.NET days...

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:22 AM