Feature request: Identity Charm

General discussion

• Put the user tile in the charm bar and add password and Identity management capabilities to it.

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:24 AM

All replies

• That seems awfully dangerous. In a way, that would turn every Metro app (that used the Charm) into a social networking capable app.

Since apps don't have to directly know about each other, one app could expose some identity information, and another could get it and do just about anything. Facebook has shown that complex privacy settings are a complete failure. I'm reluctant to have my identity information treated cavalierly.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your intent. What use case(s) are you thinking of?

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Thats not exactly what I was thinking.  More like keypass, lastpass or something like that, where you can put all you passwords in one place and access them with a single master password or some built in biometric like facial recognition or fingerprint or even a picture password.  This could also act like a digital wallet.  The main point is that apps wouldn't just be able to blindly access all your ID information just the information tied to that account. 

Think about a website that you have to log on to.  When you first visit the web site, you type in your user name, and password, but instead of pressing enter you swipe the charm bar and press the user tile and select save log on information.  Then for now when you access that site the keyboard pops up waiting for your master password that will automatically fill in all your real log on information in to that site, or if you have a biometric password you could just simply swipe your finger to log on.  All your real passwords could be saved to your skydrive account to follow you to other computers. Apps or websites using the Identity charm would not have any knowledge of any other IDs or passwords from other sites.

Monday, September 26, 2011 11:24 AM
  • Another useful charm: All touch screen OS’s have poor selection tools. Simply dragging my finger across bits of text never seems to be accurate as the program cannot differentiate between moving the cursor and selecting. There should be a select charm, what this does is bring up a context sensitive universal lasso tool, by circling your finger around the content, it will highlight the text inside the circle scribed by your finger, if it overlaps a substantial portion of a picture, it will also select that picture, then you can copy and paste those selections. This may be difficult to implement in most apps except for core Microsoft apps, but given this is most useful in Internet Explorer, it should be fine.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:50 AM