Url Rewrite Providers install to GAC RRS feed

• Question

• User-1641774314 posted
    I am trying to run install on VM with Win 2008 x86 but I am always stuck at "calculating disk space requirements" and it never finishes. I used msiexec /qr to run from command line but it only installs the source files but not to the GAC. There are lot of threads that mention this installer issue on Virtual environment and I have not been able to get any solution to get this resolved. Do you have a batch file to create the assemblies and register it to the GAC. Any suggestions please.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:41 AM

Answers

• User-1672167363 posted

Hi,

Glad you the installer switch helped.

Your task using windows installer:

"But I still want the UI to show me CUSTOM SETUP to select RUNTIME feature for IIS URL Rewrite Extensibility msi."

To display UI with Windows Installer package and Custom Setup and selecting the Runtime would require

writing a Windows Installer with "Application Compatiblity" for Virtual Machines.

The existing Rewite Module Windows Installer AFAIK would require signing a NDA with Microsoft

before you could legally change the installer.

That's the limit of suggestions for windows installer.

Edit: Eula http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/Project/Download/FileDownload.aspx?ProjectName=rewriteextensibility&DownloadId=9257 

for Archive Projects.

Martin

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:01 PM

All replies

• User-1672167363 posted

Hi,

This is not IIS Server or IIS Net Forum topic. 

Your on the right track by using Windows Installer in command-line mode.

No you do not need to use a batch file.

When your installing into a Virtual Machine you need to use extra command switch /passive combined with the normal parameters.

Reminder: You need to do the operations from Elevated Command Prompt.

Example:  msiexec /i the_name_of_the_installer.msi /passive

Caution: Only do these commands for VM cases and not part of normal Windows Systems. 

Since you will not have the normal dialogs you should add the /log to check for errors.

If you check Windows Control Panel Programs add & remove the program should be installed.

Reference for Windows Installer from MSDN library: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372024(v=VS.85).aspx .

If you really want to know why there are problems running some kinds of Windows Installer packages

search MSDN library for "Application Compatiblity" and "How to Build Windows Installer Packages".

HTH

Martin

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:09 AM
  • User-1641774314 posted
    Martin - thanks for the response. I tried the Passive option but I still want the UI to show me CUSTOM SETUP to select RUNTIME feature for IIS URL Rewrite Extensibility msi (reference: http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/803/using-custom-rewrite-providers-with-url-rewrite-module/). All the options including the passive (that you suggested) will complete the installation fine but I can never select the Custom Setup for this particular scenario. I am really looking to get the Runtime installed in the GAC for Url Rewrite 2.0 for using the "custom providers" option. Any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:14 PM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hi,

Glad you the installer switch helped.

Your task using windows installer:

"But I still want the UI to show me CUSTOM SETUP to select RUNTIME feature for IIS URL Rewrite Extensibility msi."

To display UI with Windows Installer package and Custom Setup and selecting the Runtime would require

writing a Windows Installer with "Application Compatiblity" for Virtual Machines.

The existing Rewite Module Windows Installer AFAIK would require signing a NDA with Microsoft

before you could legally change the installer.

That's the limit of suggestions for windows installer.

Edit: Eula http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/Project/Download/FileDownload.aspx?ProjectName=rewriteextensibility&DownloadId=9257 

for Archive Projects.

Martin

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:01 PM