none
Seaching for the efficient way to deploy many numbers of customized WES7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, all

At the moment I know 2 ways to deploy many numbers of customized WES7:

1. Create an IBW image with an answer file and burn this mange to a DVD, then use this DVD to unattended install the devices;

2. Use tool like ImageX to capture the image on the reference device and deploy it to other destination devices;

It seems that method 2 is more efficient than method 1, however in method 2, you need input command like "sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown" or "sysprep /audit /generalize /shutdown". all these commands will let the user reconfigure such things like the language, the timezone, the username/password and so on when the device starts for the first use.

Actually I hope these configurations in all the devices can be the same, in other words I don't want the user (or our production employees) modify them, so method 2 seems unacceptable for me because it requires that the user (or our production employees)  must reconfigure them. does it mean I have to use method 1 and discard method 2?

(BTW I know that these device can not share one WES license number, I will install evaluation version firstly and ask the user to input the right license number.)

Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:47 AM

All replies

• When you do #2, you can combine your captured WIM file with another answer file to re-answer the questions typically asked during OOBE.

So,

1. Install your initial configuration
    2. Run sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown
    3. imagex /capture your OS to a WIM file
    4. Create a new answer file in ICE
    5. Set up the settings you need to re-set. See the help topic "Configure an Answer File to be Unattended". You'll probably need to set all the settings that happen in the OOBE phase.
    6. Don't resolve dependencies. Since you already have an image set up, you don't need to add any more packages. Your answer file should just have the Windows Embedded Edition in it.
    7. Create an IBW disk from your answer file
    8. Before burning the disk to a DVD, copy your WIM file and replace \sources\install.wim with your WIM. \sources\install.wim is typically the Embedded Core. If you place your custom WIM in the same location, IBW will use it to install. Make sure your answer file is also at the root of the IBW disk and called AutoUnattend.xml
    9. When you start IBW, it should read your answer file, install your custom WIM, and set your settings.
    Hope that helps!
    • Proposed as answer by KNARZ Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:39 PM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 5:26 PM
  • pretty good guide
    "Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Or create the second answer file and use the Unattended File options when you run sysprep.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Monday, January 17, 2011 1:14 AM
  • Hello Robert,

This is a really nice way to deploy a customized images quickly. Although, I have a question here that what problems will I face if I do not perform step 2 and directly capture the image using imagex and start deploying it?

I am doing it currently and it works fine for me as I want to persist all the user accounts and custom OEM applications on the production devices.

How the licensing will be managed in this situation as I am capturing the image from a initial WE7S installation licensed with a valid Volume Runtime Key and during my production installation, installer never asks for license.

I would really appreciate any details or comment from you on this.

Thanks,

Shail.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:24 PM