SSMS can't "see" mdf file so can't attach it RRS feed

• Question

• User224181609 posted

I have Management Studio installed, and trying to attach to it an mdf file on my computer.

When I try to browse to the mdf file to attach it, SSMS studion does not see the file, so I cant attach it.

Here is what the actual file tree structure is on my C: drive:

And here is the file structure I see when trying to browse from SSMS to find the file, which is in a sub-sub folder of Clarks but does not show:

So to the question: How can I attach the file if I cant browse to it?  I also tried typing the path in the database file location box at the top, but the OK button was grayed out so I could not do that either.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some SSMS setting or authorization or the like that I have missed?

Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:52 PM

Answers

• User465171450 posted

Try moving it out of your user directory. I think it's a permissions issue as it should be displaying a + sign next to the directory also since there are sub-directories. Usually a create a directory just for my databases as they can be fussy at times and may have special requirements (such as cannot be in a directory that is compressed). If you have the directory marked as shared that could be the reason but it's definitely something with the directory permissions or settings.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:12 PM
  • User224181609 posted

Thank you for the response.

I moved the website into a folder on C: and then I could see it with SSMS.  I could not attach the file until I discovered that I had to right-click on SSMS and Run as Administator. Upon doing that, life is good. Problem solved.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:53 PM

All replies

• User465171450 posted

Try moving it out of your user directory. I think it's a permissions issue as it should be displaying a + sign next to the directory also since there are sub-directories. Usually a create a directory just for my databases as they can be fussy at times and may have special requirements (such as cannot be in a directory that is compressed). If you have the directory marked as shared that could be the reason but it's definitely something with the directory permissions or settings.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:12 PM
  • User224181609 posted

Thank you for the response.

I moved the website into a folder on C: and then I could see it with SSMS.  I could not attach the file until I discovered that I had to right-click on SSMS and Run as Administator. Upon doing that, life is good. Problem solved.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:53 PM