Host Instances Shut Down RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have a query, I have my UAT server located at a remote place. I connect to it using RDP....but when I log of my session from the server and if the server remains ideal, the host instances shut down. This has given my trouble since the first thing I have to check in the morning is if the Host Instances are up or not.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Mandar,

As Ravindar pointed out, there is no relationship between your account being logged-off and host instance to restart.

Even if you have used your account as the service account to the host instance, there is no relation for the service account to logged-off and host instance restart. As long as the service account which has been used in host instance is active (not in disables state) in Active Directory and in correct group, it should do.

Just for your clarification, just try log-in and log-off for 2-3 times continuously and see the behaviour of the host instances, you shall see no different and no link to the host instance.

Ensure you’re just logging-off not restart the server, as the menu options are just close to each other.

Or it could be other processes like restart of the back-end SQL server or any other process which restart the host instances. 

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:26 AM
  • Hello All,

I have found out the problem. Clearly I got confused with the user log off here. On having a more thorough look through the event log I got the " Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" exception for the host instances. Also the SQL team confirms the restart of Biztalk SQL server. 

Another observation was that if the connection to the SQL database is lost it is resumed after 1 min but the Host Instances do not start up automatically and throws" Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" error.

Microsoft has provided a bug fix( for BT 2010) for this, information about which can be  here 

Hope this helps others who face the same issue.

Thank you all for the valuable replies.

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:51 AM

All replies

• Ideally there is no relation between you being loggging off your session impacting the host instances.

There should be some other reason, please go through the errors logged in event viewers first.

Please mark the post as answer if this answers your question. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:28 AM
  • Hi Ravindar ,

I get a message 

The User Profile Service has stopped.

This is the common message I have found out comparing Logs for last 2 months.

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:53 AM
  • i hope it is a multi server BizTalk group, if yes, please check event logs on the servers where that host instance service is configured

When ever a host stops abruptly, it throws information into even log. 

by the way, is it happening for all hosts or only with particular host?

Please mark the post as answer if this answers your question. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:59 AM
  • It is happenning for all the Host Instances.

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:11 AM
  • Try using another local/domain ID which has BizTalk admin rights and memeber of BizTalk group.

It is always advisable to have multiple ID configured with BizTalk so that ID lock issue wont stop your service .

Thanks

Abhishek

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:30 AM
  • Hi Mandar,

As Ravindar pointed out, there is no relationship between your account being logged-off and host instance to restart.

Even if you have used your account as the service account to the host instance, there is no relation for the service account to logged-off and host instance restart. As long as the service account which has been used in host instance is active (not in disables state) in Active Directory and in correct group, it should do.

Just for your clarification, just try log-in and log-off for 2-3 times continuously and see the behaviour of the host instances, you shall see no different and no link to the host instance.

Ensure you’re just logging-off not restart the server, as the menu options are just close to each other.

Or it could be other processes like restart of the back-end SQL server or any other process which restart the host instances. 

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:26 AM
  • Hello All,

I have found out the problem. Clearly I got confused with the user log off here. On having a more thorough look through the event log I got the " Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" exception for the host instances. Also the SQL team confirms the restart of Biztalk SQL server. 

Another observation was that if the connection to the SQL database is lost it is resumed after 1 min but the Host Instances do not start up automatically and throws" Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" error.

Microsoft has provided a bug fix( for BT 2010) for this, information about which can be  here 

Hope this helps others who face the same issue.

Thank you all for the valuable replies.

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:51 AM
  • Glad you got the root cause, there is no relation between user being loggging off and host instances getting stopped.

it is the event viewer where we need to start verifying for such cases.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:00 AM
  • One more point, also ensure the host instances services in the services tray is set to "Automatic Delayed" as the service type.

• Proposed as answer by Ravindar Thati Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:07 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:04 AM
  • Hi MRAshwinPrabhu,

Yes I put them as Automatic delayed start as I found out the root cause.

Just forgot to mention it.

Thank You for the update. :)

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:09 AM