none
How ndis miniport really works RRS feed

• Question

• Good day. I know how to write ndis protocol drivers,ndis filter and windows filtering platform drivers. I read on how to write miniport driver but. The miniport drivers are almost similar to protocol and filter drivers but could not understand on how the miniport driver receives a packet from NIC(hardware). I did not understand on how the miniport driver sends the packet. So i have many questions to ask. Does the miniport driver have to allocate its ndisport number (the miniport im trying to create is not a virtual miniport i would want it to communicate with the NIC). Since the miniport talks to the nic directly is there code that is used so that the NIC can transmit data. The next question is how does the miniport receive packet straight from the NIC. I read about interrupts but did not understand on how the miniport driver receives and send packets to NIC. Did i miss any documentation. I can write code from initializing the miniport driver, initializing adapters and destroying drivers but when it comes to receiving and sending packets is where i have no idea
    • Edited by davescxp Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:30 PM
    Saturday, August 4, 2018 4:11 PM

Answers

• The easiest approach is to try to get the E100bex sample from the Windows Server 2008 WDK.   That was an early NDIS 6 Miniport for Intel EtherExpress PRO/100+ Ethernet PCI Adapter.

While it is a little old it is the last Microsoft sample for a hardware miniport.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:41 PM

All replies

• The easiest approach is to try to get the E100bex sample from the Windows Server 2008 WDK.   That was an early NDIS 6 Miniport for Intel EtherExpress PRO/100+ Ethernet PCI Adapter.

While it is a little old it is the last Microsoft sample for a hardware miniport.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Your hardware engineers should explain you how to send and receive. Or, if you have a hardware prototype from original chip maker, they should provide some info and examples.

-- pa

Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:18 PM