none
Bing Map in PowerView plotting points on opposite sides of map RRS feed

• Question

• Plotting data from New Zealand addresses in PowerView map in Excel 2013. The map plots the points in the correct locations but the mainland NZ data is plotted on the NZ that appears on the right side of the map, and the Chatham Islands data (CI being part of NZ) is plotted on the Chatham Islands on the left side of the map. This makes it impossible to see the data on one map. Same thing happens whether I use addresses or lat long. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I would post a screenshot but I keep getting told I can't include an image until my account is verified. Will amend when I can.
    Friday, December 14, 2018 4:43 AM

Answers

• Those numbers are correct. The Prime Meridian is 0 longitude and the opposite side of it is 180. Christchurch is on one side and Chatham Islands is on the other so that is definitely not the issue.

The trick is the translation from address to location can be done in multiple ways from the Bing Maps Locations API side.  Unstructured queries are less relyable than structured queries so my hope is to find the address combination and call that is giving the odd result.  The trick is that excel hides the exact call so you have two options:

1.  Work with Office Support that can tell us the failing call

2. Try the API yourself and see if you can replicate the issue outside of excel.  For this I would need an example that is failing for you.

Monday, December 17, 2018 5:19 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Can you provide the text or excel cells for a failing address?  If you use the same string in Bing.com\maps do you see the same issue?
    Sunday, December 16, 2018 4:39 PM
    Owner
  • I'm still struggling to have my account verified to allow me to post images etc. But the data I'm plotting is:

Auckland, New Zealand
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Waitangi, Chatham Islands, New Zealand

Re Bing.com/maps it will locate Chatham Islands fine and scrolling west takes me to NZ; if I keep scrolling west Chatham Is appears again with the locator marker. Is that what you meant? 

Thanks

Sunday, December 16, 2018 8:14 PM
  • I've discovered that in Bing Maps the lat-long for Christchurch NZ is 

but for Chatham Islands it's 

-43.890202, -176.537125

That '-' in the longitude seems to be the problem.  

The addresses I need to plot don't have lat long, and there are about 500 of them. 

Sunday, December 16, 2018 10:09 PM
  • Those numbers are correct. The Prime Meridian is 0 longitude and the opposite side of it is 180. Christchurch is on one side and Chatham Islands is on the other so that is definitely not the issue.

The trick is the translation from address to location can be done in multiple ways from the Bing Maps Locations API side.  Unstructured queries are less relyable than structured queries so my hope is to find the address combination and call that is giving the odd result.  The trick is that excel hides the exact call so you have two options:

1.  Work with Office Support that can tell us the failing call

2. Try the API yourself and see if you can replicate the issue outside of excel.  For this I would need an example that is failing for you.

Monday, December 17, 2018 5:19 AM
    Owner
  • Many thanks for your help with this, I'll follow up with Office Support.
    Monday, December 17, 2018 8:21 PM
  • Great!  Once they establish the call that is of issue, please don't hesitate to bring us back into the conversation.  
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 2:26 AM
    Owner