SQL Server 2005 Maintenance Plan RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Daily SQL Server maintenance plan (For Database Complete Backup)running at specified.

But during the execution the DB server taking more resources.

How to troubleshoot?

Details:

APP: Sql Server 2005 standard With sp2

• Moved by Papy Normand Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:30 AM Performance problems when a backup is occurring (From:SQL Server Data Access)
    Friday, October 21, 2011 11:08 AM

Answers

• have you captured the normal vs high resource consumption during the backup .You also need to see what all processes consume more resources and what are those reources .....Take a snapshot of 1 day in perfmon and draw the graph ...Then start troubleshooting ..sometime old device drivers or incorrect configuration settings at the storage level might also cause it ..or there moght be symptoms that can point to some KB artilce with a fix ..
    Abhay Chaudhary OCP 9i, MCTS/MCITP (SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2005 BI) ms-abhay.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Monday, October 24, 2011 6:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:46 AM
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 4:49 PM

All replies

• But during the execution the DB server taking more resources.

How to troubleshoot?

Hello,

To troubleshoot what exactly? It's quite normal that you get IO workload during backup, because the complete databases have to be read.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Friday, October 21, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Hello Olaf,

I am sorry for you, but, as this thread is related to performances problems, i prefer to move it in the Database Engine forum where it will interest more people.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:29 AM
  • have you captured the normal vs high resource consumption during the backup .You also need to see what all processes consume more resources and what are those reources .....Take a snapshot of 1 day in perfmon and draw the graph ...Then start troubleshooting ..sometime old device drivers or incorrect configuration settings at the storage level might also cause it ..or there moght be symptoms that can point to some KB artilce with a fix ..
    Abhay Chaudhary OCP 9i, MCTS/MCITP (SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2005 BI) ms-abhay.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Monday, October 24, 2011 6:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:46 AM
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Hi Abhay,

I don't have much experience as a DBA, please can you guide me how to capture resource consumption during backup.

Monday, October 24, 2011 2:46 AM
  • BING is your friend :) ..Sorry I need to catch a flight soon ...
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:21 AM