SQL Server login using windows auth not working RRS feed

• Question

• SQL Server 2014 running on server 2012.  Mixed auth...

Server was a member of a SBS 2011 domain.

The SBS got a malware infection and since it was time for an upgrade, the SBS was removed from the network.  It was replaced with one server 2016 DC, one server 2016 file server and another 2016 vm for exchange.  

Since the database server didn't seem to have any malware and was running normally, it was kept as is.

The new domain has the same name as the old domain, so i was expecting the SQL server logins using domain accounts to work, but they don't....

Thoughts on how to make windows auth work again???

Thursday, July 19, 2018 11:22 AM

All replies

• The new domain has the same name as the old domain, so i was expecting the SQL server logins using domain accounts to work, but they don't....

Thoughts on how to make windows auth work again???

A new domain will have different SIDs even if the name happens to be the same. You'll need to join the SQL machine to the new domain and recreate Windows logins and users in order for Windows authentication to work again.

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Thursday, July 19, 2018 11:50 AM
  • Hi com-guy,

According to your description, my understanding is that you have a new domain and you want to use the new domain account to login in the SQL Server. If anything is misunderstand, please tell me.

Every SQL Server login account has a unique number named SID. As for Windows login account, the SID is same as the account's SID in domain. You have a new domain, then the login account's SID is different from the previous even though the name is same. Apart from migrating SQL Server to the new domain, you could try to migrate the users in old domain to the new domain with the same sid and password via ADMT 3.2. For more detailed information, you could refer to the article. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13904.how-to-migrate-users-across-forest-cross-forest-using-admt-3-2-with-sid-and-passwords.aspx

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, July 20, 2018 10:02 AM