Debug symbols for windows store apps - no line numbers in stacktraces

Question

• Hello,

while debugging my first windows store app :) I noticed that stacktraces have no reference to line numbers....am I missing something or doing something wrong? Should line numbers be available in stacktraces?

Thx

Steve

Monday, May 19, 2014 12:56 PM

All replies

• Are you not seeing line numbers for your code or for system code? Debug symbols should include line numbers for your code, but not for system code.
    Monday, May 19, 2014 1:07 PM
  • Hello Rob,

I should have posted the question in the C# store app forum since I'm developing a C# app with a few C++ components but yes, I noticed that stacktraces don't contain line numbers. I just now created a brand new windows store app and tried throwing an exception and I confirm that the stacktrace is fine apart line numbers. Stacktraces however provide full information for example when debugging standard .NET 4.5.1 desktop applications reason why I don't think there is any issue with my VS 2013 installation.

Thx

Steve

Monday, May 19, 2014 9:52 PM
  • I'm not sure what you're doing differently from me.

I see line numbers when breaking or raising an exception from a C++ Runtime Component called from a C# app.

Are you looking for line numbers from the C# or from the C++ side? Are you running the native or mixed-mode debugger or managed only? Are you using VS 2012 Update 2?

--Rob

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 5:54 PM
  • Hello

if I throw an exception and then capture in I see the following.....notice that line numbers are missing from the stack trace.

I have not changed anything in the standard VS settings. BTW I'm using VS Ultimate 2013 update 2

Thx
    Steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:39 PM
  • Hello,

while debugging my first windows store app :) I noticed that stacktraces have no reference to line numbers....am I missing something or doing something wrong? Should line numbers be available in stacktraces?

Thx
    Steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:00 AM
  • Debug or release mode?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:33 PM
  • Hello,

absolutely debug mode. I did not play around with VS settings and the pdb file is regularly created. This is happening with any newly created windows store app application. I'm confused. Apart this I'm not experiencing any other issues with my VS installation.

Thx
    Steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 2:12 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem...  I'll check into this.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:25 PM
  • I'm noticing that Stacktrace does not seem to ever contain the line numbers, but a dump reviewed in WinDbg does contain the line number using the same PDBs.  I'm not sure why, but I will continue to investigate.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Could someone else check is stacktrace does provide line numbers in a windows store application?

Regards,
    Steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:43 PM