EdgeGesture horz swipe left/right

Question

• I am using EdgeGesture to open settings panel, see this thread: Previous post

This works great when app is in horz orientation.  In vert orientation (portrait), I'd like to open settings panel from the left side.  I can do this using EdgeGesture, but the user is required to swipe down (or up) from top (or bottom) edge of screen.  Seems it would be more intuitive to left-swipe from left edge.

So, can you use EdgeGesture for left side?  Or is there a better way to do this?

SAP

Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:56 PM

Answers

• Hi SAP,

Swipe from the left switches apps and swipe from the right opens the charm bar. The only app-controlled edges are top and bottom (generally for App Bar and Navigation Bar).

--Rob

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 7:00 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi,

Edge gesture cannot open the Charm bar. It only work for the AppBar which invoke by swiping down or up. Please take a look of this sample
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/edge-gesture-invocation-76a474dd

Also, there is no way to open charm bar by codes.  You can programmatically open the individual Charms which the app can work with. To Show the Search pane call SearchPane.Show.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 27, 2013 2:37 AM
  • Hi Jesse,

Thank you for responding.

I am not trying to open the CharmBar.  I am using the edgegesture to open my own custom "AppBar" using  using EdgeGesture::Completed as described in the example you mentioned.  (BTW, I can't use AppBar due to other technical restraints.  )

This works fine, but when the app is in vertical orientation, I was just hoping I could trap a left-to-right swipe on the left side of the screen.  It's not a show-stopper, just a nice-to-have.  

What do the guidelines say?  I didn't see anything that addresses this.  Perhaps I missed something.

SAP

Monday, May 27, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Hi SAP,

Swipe from the left switches apps and swipe from the right opens the charm bar. The only app-controlled edges are top and bottom (generally for App Bar and Navigation Bar).

--Rob

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 7:00 AM
    Owner