Validate textboxes from a User Interface in a web setup package RRS feed

• Question

• User479167866 posted

Hello and thanks for the help you might give me in advance.

I have a created a Web Setup Package and i wonder if its possible to validate the input from a user within a textbox on a certain Form/GUI during the Installation process. So for example let's say that the installer needs the information of the Database server and the user must provide a name into a textbox but he doesn't.

How could i show a MessageBox letting the user know that this field must be filled before continuing with the next step of the installation process?.

I have created a CustomInstallClass which i use to perform some installation logic, but i don't know how to request an event and control input on a particular Form within the package.

Would be great to get some advise on this.

Thanks again!.

Choro.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:29 PM

All replies

• User535082756 posted

hi

hope the below article throws some light on ur issue...

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/06/15/tip-trick-creating-packaged-asp-net-setup-programs-with-vs-2005.aspx

hope it helps...thanks, 

Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:00 AM
  • User479167866 posted

Hi cninjas, thanks for your kind help.

I read that article and actually made my package work following those instructions, but i still can't figure how to validate the textboxes on one of the forms composing the Installation package. How can i handle the events and access the controls on each Form?

Thanks again.

Choro.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:08 AM
  • User535082756 posted

hi

wht kind of validation you wish to add..?

in the link can you search for "We’ll then update our custom action to access these values and do something with them like so"

..there they are actually defining their own logic...so you can include your valiation part there...

thanks, 

Thursday, November 25, 2010 12:16 PM
  • User479167866 posted

I can perform a validation and thats correct but the way it works right now is that the validation/custom code logic is performed after the user is done setting the parameters on the previous Forms and the Installation process (Install Event) has been triggered.

What i would like to do is for example that in the second Form of the installer the user hasn't entered the ServerName information in one of the textboxes, so when "Next" is clicked on this Form a MessageBox shows up telling the user that "The ServerName information is necessary to continue with the next step" and stucks him in such Form till the ServerName is entered or the installation is cancelled explicitely.

I have tried using the OnBeforeInstall event but i can't get to make it work yet.

I hope you got what i am trying to do.

Thanks again.

Choro.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:14 PM