none
Program (Discord) install failed, logs seem to suggest the fault lies with .NET Framework (windows 10) RRS feed

• Question

• So when I try to install Discord I get this error:

(DicordSetup (1).exe) Installation has failed

There was an error while installing the application. Check the setup log for more information and contact the author.

In the setup log this error is repeated a few times:

016-10-30 18:18:59> Unhandled exception: System.TypeInitializationException: De type-initialisatiefunctie voor <Module> heeft een uitzondering veroorzaakt. ---> <CrtImplementationDetails>.ModuleLoadException: The C++ module failed to load during appdomain initialization.
     ---> System.DllNotFoundException: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpfgfx_v0400.dll ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Kan opgegeven module niet vinden

Rough translation dutch -> english:

016-10-30 18:18:59> Unhandled exception: System.TypeInitializationException: The type-initialisation-function for <Module> has caused an exception. ---> <CrtImplementationDetails>.ModuleLoadException: The C++ module failed to load during appdomain initialization.
     ---> System.DllNotFoundException: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpfgfx_v0400.dll ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Can not find given module.

After running sfc/scannow in the command prompt, this shows up in the cbs.log:

Could not reproject corrupted file \??\C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpfgfx_v0400.dll; source file in store is also corrupted

Thanks in advance for your help,

Richard

Saturday, November 19, 2016 11:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For your question, the v4.0.30319\WPF\wpfgfx_v0400.dll is contained in the .Net Framework 4.

We need to confirm that if this .Net Framework version installed well.

Try following:

1. Please use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool  to verify if the all the .NET Frameworks installed well on your machine.

2. After running it, you will find the log file in the %TEMP% folder, if the exit code != 0, it means that the .NET frameworks installed incorrectly, we could use  .NET Framework Repair Tool to repair it.

3. Download .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) to install again.

After making sure your system files and the .Net Framework are fine, please install Discord again.

If the error still persists, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For your question, the v4.0.30319\WPF\wpfgfx_v0400.dll is contained in the .Net Framework 4.

We need to confirm that if this .Net Framework version installed well.

Try following:

1. Please use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool  to verify if the all the .NET Frameworks installed well on your machine.

2. After running it, you will find the log file in the %TEMP% folder, if the exit code != 0, it means that the .NET frameworks installed incorrectly, we could use  .NET Framework Repair Tool to repair it.

3. Download .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) to install again.

After making sure your system files and the .Net Framework are fine, please install Discord again.

If the error still persists, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Unfortunately:

[11/23/16,23:25:07] Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code 0
    [11/23/16,23:25:07] Verification succeeded for product .NET Framework 4.5.1

EDIT: (The link to .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) gives me a 404 server error :S)
    • Edited by Richard.vl1 Wednesday, November 23, 2016 10:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 10:26 PM
  • Hi Richard,

The link on my side could open without any error code.

404 is Internet forbidden error, would you mind check if your IE setting that blocks opening the website.

Then try to open the link again to see if it works.

If the error still persist, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:47 AM
  • Hey, 

This time the link opened just fine, the installer however tells me there is already .net 4.0 or higher installed on my pc, could you tell me what files I should delete to get completely rid of it?

Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:33 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Would you mind go to Control Panel>Program and Features > Turn Windows features on or off to check if you have enabled the .NET Framework service.

If the .NET Framework 4.6 is not enabled, please enable them.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Friday, November 25, 2016 10:04 AM
  • It was indeed not enabled, but I remember turning this off when I was trying to find how to uninstall, so this was not the cause of the problem, (the logs from the verification tool still say the same.)
    Friday, November 25, 2016 5:42 PM