Best method to provide multi-language versions of large portions of HTML? RRS feed

• Question

• User-703432812 posted

Hi I've started developing a multi-language website. However, I can understand the .resx files being used to provide different language literals for control captions, text etc. but how do I go about translating a whole page of HTML complete with headings, labels, hyperlinks etc..

One noticeable problem is that within the HTML are lots of formatting, (e.g. spans for bit of text that should be bold) paragraphs, mixed content, labels and hyperlinks which can't be contained in one label which could then be translated.

What is the best solution to convert an HTML page full of content?

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:16 AM

All replies

• User-503940700 posted

Hi,

You can out only pure content in the resx files and leave the formatting in ASPX files only. At runtime the content will come inside the formatted places. If you want you can put formatted content too in the resx files for some cultures. It really depends on individual project needs.

Hope this helps,

Vivek

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 1:18 PM
  • User-703432812 posted
    Does this mean I need to use lots of label controls in my page?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:19 AM
  • User-503940700 posted

You need to use some placeholders where you localized text will get "filled in". It is not neccessary to use Labels, you can use, for e.g., Literal controls.

Hope this helps,

Vivek 

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:47 PM