Why Powershell 3 is not metro?

Question

• Well, i know that powershell is a productivity tool and does not need to be all that pretty. But, hey is 2011, it kills me that i cannot have some themes and that i have to explicitly set the windows width and height in chars. I'm wondering if it's really that hard to build some good GUI, i guess there must be some nice frameworks, inside microsoft, for building GUI's whether win32(winrt) or WPF. It reallfy kills the feeling from the product.

Sorry for the rant.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:42 PM

Answers

• PowerShell has been meant from the start to be hosted in various ways.   Microsoft already provides the ISE host.   There are several open source hosts, most of them 'prettier'.  

In theory, it would be easy to host PowerShell in a managed Metro app, but I don't see System.Management.Automation listed as one of the namespaces available.   It may be possible to work around that with reflection or such, but doing so will certainly produce an application that can't be distributed via the Store.

• Marked as answer by ArturoUno Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:27 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:23 PM

All replies

• A lot of developers actually love the Console look. Many of us don't like to work with user interfaces because it slows you down.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:09 PM
  • PowerShell has been meant from the start to be hosted in various ways.   Microsoft already provides the ISE host.   There are several open source hosts, most of them 'prettier'.  

In theory, it would be easy to host PowerShell in a managed Metro app, but I don't see System.Management.Automation listed as one of the namespaces available.   It may be possible to work around that with reflection or such, but doing so will certainly produce an application that can't be distributed via the Store.

• Marked as answer by ArturoUno Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:27 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Nice, thanks for the hints. I guess i'll play with it in my spare time, and see how it turns out.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:27 PM