How to recover lost keystore RRS feed

• Question

• User325400 posted

Hi Guys,

i have published some apps in Google Play store. Recently i have upgraded my OS and VS. Now when i go to project i am not able to see my keystore files. Please help me to resolve this issue. How to get those keystore files or i can create new keystore file and can i publish that apk as new version? I don't want publish new app.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 8:50 AM

All replies

• User2148 posted

https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/xamarin/android/deploy-test/signing/keystore-signature?tabs=vswin

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:19 AM
  • User325400 posted

@AlessandroCaliaro said: https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/xamarin/android/deploy-test/signing/keystore-signature?tabs=vswin

Thanks i will check

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:32 PM
  • User343509 posted

Hello @DarshanJS ,

found any solution?

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 1:36 PM
  • User325400 posted

@DeepakDY said: Sorry i didn't find

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 1:47 PM
  • User343509 posted

Hello @DarshanJS ,

I lost my Keystore file, and i want to update my apk in play store but i getting a errordid not match SHA1 key

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 1:51 PM
  • User325400 posted

@DeepakDY said: Hello @DarshanJS ,

I lost my Keystore file, and i want to update my apk in play store but i getting a errordid not match SHA1 key

I don't know the exact solution but you can remove the current app from play store and upload this new apk with same app name.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:09 PM
  • User31568 posted

@AlessandroCaliaro I have review the link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/ar-sa/xamarin/android/deploy-test/signing/keystore-signature?tabs=windows

but Google is asking me for a different format and to perform this command:

keytool -export -rfc -alias upload -file upload_certificate.pem -keystore keystore.jks

Here is Google's email:

Thanks for contacting Google Play Developer Support.

Now that we’ve verified your account, I’m happy to help you reset your upload key. The new upload key will be used to sign APKs that you upload to Play.

Here’s how to generate and register a new upload key:

1. Follow the instructions in the Android Studio Help Center to generate a new key. It must be different from any previous keys. Alternatively, you can use the following command line to generate a new key: keytool -genkeypair -alias upload -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 9125 -keystore keystore.jks This key must be a 2048 bit RSA key and have 25-year validity.

2. Export the certificate for that key to PEM format: keytool -export -rfc -alias upload -file upload_certificate.pem -keystore keystore.jks

3. Reply to this email and attach the upload_certificate.pem file. I look forward to your response. Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Regards, Google Play Developer Support

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:08 PM
  • User356584 posted

anyone knows how to proceed after received the email from google?

Good news - I was able to register your new upload key. Your new key will be available from 2019-11-03 00:17:29 UTC. In the meantime, please make sure to update your keystores in the following locations: • Local machine • Locked on-site server (varying ACLs) • Cloud machine (varying ACLs) • Dedicated secrets management services • (git) repos

What are all these locations ? how and what to update there? What's next?

• Update the .pem file ? ( i think no )
    • the keystore generated by visual studio android in directory
      (C:\Users[user]\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Mono for Android\Keystore[myproject][myproject.keystore])?
    • the jks file which exists in folder (C:\Program Files\Android\jdk\microsoftdistopenjdk_1.8.0.25\bin) ?

What and how to update? any example online ?

i'm using visual studio and xamarin.forms

Friday, November 1, 2019 7:50 AM
  • User343509 posted

Hello @"ST.7899"

Follow this link

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/362341#Comment_362341

Friday, November 1, 2019 12:57 PM
  • User356584 posted

@DeepakDY said: Hello @"ST.7899"

Follow this link

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/362341#Comment_362341

i have try it but i still getting the exact error message as before i send the pem file to google. This is really crazy generally from google to do simple things.. too much headache !!!

Sunday, November 3, 2019 11:42 AM
  • User176749 posted

do you have jks file? if yes, see my comment in the other post. those all steps are unnecessary.

you don't need any of these steps. just choose sign and distribute on visual studio and choose import keystore, then select your keystore.jks which you created earlier. VS will ask you to enter password you used for keystore.jks. once you enter it will be signed and ready to upload to Google Play Console

Sunday, November 3, 2019 4:20 PM
  • User356584 posted

@batmaci said: do you have jks file? if yes, see my comment in the other post. those all steps are unnecessary.

(Quote)

I'm really thank you for your comment.

Yes i already try that too!

Import the jks file which the pem file created to send to Google for reset.

Unfortunately visual studio when i try import that jks was giving me exceptions all the time which i couldn't even resize the window or copy the full message exception to see what really want. (very frustrating)

I contact Google again, they suggested me to clear browser cache and etc.. still nothing.

I try all the combinations i could.. nothing. Only thing i could get was 1 week almost not sleeping and headache.

At the end , the guy from google support, suggested me to unpublished the app and republish it.. which i was feeling from the beginning that i would end up to that solution.

now im just waiting from Google console to publish the new app.

I feel that is not very clear all this procedure and straight forward for users.

especially the procedure after google resetting the keystore .

however just for sake of helping someone else. i can still try import that jks file and send some screenshots, maybe some light come and help other users.

now an important question i have, after i create a new keystore from visual studio that keystore is saved in app/../xamarinmono/ projectname/

i zip that folder containing my keystore and one more file and save it to cloud.

is that the only thing i need to backup if i format the pc ? took that folder and place it back to his directory and finish? i will not need to contact Google for resetting keystore again?

Monday, November 4, 2019 6:11 PM
  • User176749 posted

hmm.. this is terrible experience. sorry to hear that. Basically, if you have signed with google, you must use keystore provided by google, not your own as far as i know. So basically, google ensures that if you forget your password or lose your own keystore file, you can always contact google and restore like you did. In the past, if you had forgotten or lost these, you were screweed and you had no chance to recover your app and do new publishes. You did correct thing. you provided them a pem file and google responded you that it is confirmed now. All you have to do normally, import this keystore.jks file and VS2019 should ask you password to enter and thats all done. I have done this like that before. keystore.jks file was sufficient. Your problem could be VS related. VS gets buggy updates often and it might be a bug in VS. what i can advise you that; - if you are using VS mac, try VS windows or vise versa. if you are using 2017, try 2019 or vise versa. - last option is to try Azure pipelines or Appcenter to generate signed apk for you, using keystore.jks. Error message is important to analyse what your problem is. i would contact xamarin or vs team with the error message. republishing your app is a bad solution if you have many users.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:22 AM