Implementing Video Effect without slowing down hardware decoder

Question

• Hi,

The H264 decoder in Metro supports hardware acceleration.

When I play the mp4 without adding any effect, the acceleration works fine and the playback takes almost no cpu usage.

But as I  added in my video effect (do nothing except copying input to output), the playback slows down and takes a really high cpu usage. 

After digging in the trace, the emerged samples comes mainly from decoder when adding video effect.

My questions are:

1. Will the decoder hardware acceleration be turn off when adding video effect?

2. Or the hardware acceleration is still on. The cpu usage I saw is the overhead cost by hardware/software readback? 

3.  Any practical way of doing a software video effect so that the hardware gain at the front is still there?

Thanks in advance

-Ernest

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:10 AM

All replies

• ErnestCC,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. You can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

ADD1-RY34-K4T4
    (
    https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4)

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

If there are any questions let us know.

Thanks,

Chris
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:22 PM