Database size limits in SQL Azure RRS feed

• Question

• I heard about database size limits in SQL Azure. I was considering porting my database which is currently small but I'm expecting it grow in size considerably. What happens if my DB gets too large? Would I have to go back to a dedicated server which doesn't really make sense?
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:58 PM

Answers

• Currently, the maximum size is 50gb. However, the thing to remember here is that you don't have the capability to veritically scale your database (adding ram/cpu). So an option to consider when exploring SQL Azure is the partitioning of data to allow you to scale its usage more affectively. A good example of this in practice can be found in the case study for TicketDirect in New Zealand.

http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000005890

By properly partitioning your data, you can exceed the size limit imposed by the database. There's also the potential to level Azure Storage for use storing your blobs. Azure Storage doesn't have the same size limitations and it actually a much less expensive alternative for storing that type of information.

:) I hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by imsam67 Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:23 PM

All replies

• Currently, the maximum size is 50gb. However, the thing to remember here is that you don't have the capability to veritically scale your database (adding ram/cpu). So an option to consider when exploring SQL Azure is the partitioning of data to allow you to scale its usage more affectively. A good example of this in practice can be found in the case study for TicketDirect in New Zealand.

http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000005890

By properly partitioning your data, you can exceed the size limit imposed by the database. There's also the potential to level Azure Storage for use storing your blobs. Azure Storage doesn't have the same size limitations and it actually a much less expensive alternative for storing that type of information.

:) I hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by imsam67 Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Thanks Brent!
    Thanks, Sam
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:19 PM