How to add Google Web Translator to MS Expression Studio 4 web site RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Expression Studio 4 Web Professional software for my published website and want to add the Google Web Translator plug in to my site but when I follow the Google instructions by entering the script for the plug in into the browser, all that shows up is a blank field. The tag is there but the plug in itself is not. It shows up as the same when I preview it. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:20 PM

All replies

• First of all, you don't enter anything wish to appear in a Web page by "...entering the script for the plug in into the browser." A browser is an output application for the source code defining the page. You would need to enter that script, following the instructions, in EW's code view. Your question as stated makes no sense.

Post a link to the page in which you say you have inserted this code, so that we can look at the source code see where your problem is.

FWIW, I just checked the Google instructions, and they're as clear as can be, if you understand HTML. As stated above, they must placed at very specific places in your page(s) source code for the plugin to show up here you want it. Here's a simple test page I created in a couple of minutes to demonstrate that it works just fine when the instructions are followed.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:43 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Let me guess: Do you think Design View is a browser?  (It is not.)  Did you enter the script in Design View?  If so, that would be very wrong. Markup and script go in Code View.

But as Scott says, all we can do is guess unless you are more clear.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:03 PM
  • You are correct. We made a mistake in the descriptive language we used. We did exactly as instructed as by Google, placing the script in the code precisely as instructed. This resulted in a blank field without the appearance of the Google Web Translator plug in. The tag specified Google Web Translator element, but no Translator was to be seen. We previewed it, and the field where the Translator should have been was simply blank.

Appreciate your help!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:30 AM
  • our web is Informed ABout Sex

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:35 AM
  • You aren't being clear yet.  Was your last post supposed to be a link to the problem page?  You need to provide an actual link to the page you are talking about that has the google code in it.
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:48 AM
  • You are correct. We made a mistake in the descriptive language we used. We did exactly as instructed as by Google, placing the script in the code precisely as instructed. This resulted in a blank field without the appearance of the Google Web Translator plug in. The tag specified Google Web Translator element, but no Translator was to be seen. We previewed it, and the field where the Translator should have been was simply blank.

Appreciate your help!

If you will look at the example page linked in my first reply, where I did in fact follow Google's instructions, and the translation plugin works just as expected, you can view source and see how it is done.

The fact is, as demonstrated by that example page, if you had followed the instructions, it would have worked. That it does not appear for you means that you did not follow the instructions, no matter what you may think you have done. Until we can see your actual source code, we cannot tell what you have done wrong. Please post an actual link to your page. Thank you.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:52 AM
  • Hi I need help I can't get the google plugin to work on my page either.  The page is www.scvan.org.  I've followed googles directions and it still doesn't work.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks! 
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Ward3, thank you for providing a link. I checked your page, and except for your Google Analytics script, there is NO Google script at all in your source code. You did not follow the instructions provided by Google. Please see the simple example page I created, and test it with a couple of languages. Then view the source code to see how the plugin is to be implemented.

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Here's the one with it added before the </body>.   www.scvan.org/indextranslate.html      

Thanks 4 your help! 

• Edited by Ward3 Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:16 PM
  • There is no google translate meta tag in that page.  When you follow google's instructions, make sure you use *all* the code they give you.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:06 PM
  • What Kathy said. If you look at the source code in my simple example page, you will see a meta declaration in the <head> that looks like this:

<meta name="google-translate-customization" content="c23e5fe9f4e4eadb-5d30d645dc1f3964-g594cfcda73c7c1f8-13">

There is no such declaration in your source code. When implementing these plugins, it is necessary that you follow ALL of the instructions. ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:50 PM