Troubleshooting errors in Azure published app RRS feed

• Question

• User-1763141223 posted

I used VS 2015 and ASP.NET 5 beta 6 to create simple ( by using a template from the VS) application. I modified the DB connection string to point to my DB Server deployed in Azure, this way I am able to use Individual Accounts authentication to sign-up and sign-in, but if I publish my app into Azure and then try to do the same (for instance register a new user) I am seeing just this info:

Error.

An error occurred while processing your request.

How do I troubleshoot this error? I suspect it is related to the DB connection but could not figure out what exactly the problem is. Again, if I run the same application with the same connection string locally - it works fine. Looks like DB firewall issue but I cannot know for sure.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 3:37 AM

All replies

• User-1315512054 posted

Hello,

You could turn the custom errors off in your web.config file, so to see the error details.

Also, you should take in mind that ASP.NET 5 is still in beta, and to install beta versions you will need at least Windows VPS hosting or Dedicated account.

Regards

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 3:54 AM
  • User-646145796 posted

Hi,

For this error message, we could add the following code  in our web.config file to get the detailed error information, refer to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/web-sites-dotnet-troubleshoot-visual-studio/ for more information about how to troubleshoot azure web app.

<customErrors mode="off"></customErrors>

Based on your description, you guess this issue maybe related to your DB server, please ensure we could connect your on-premise server from internet, if not, please try to use hybrid connections to connect your DB server, refer to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/web-sites-hybrid-connection-get-started/ for more information.

Best Regards,

Jambor

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 4:36 AM
  • User-1763141223 posted

Thank you guys, I have added the following section in my web.config (just in case let me remind - that is ASP.NET VNext app):

<system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off" />
      </system.web>

but that didn't help.

I also note that the issue can only be seen if I don't use my web site for some time, only then I am seeing it while my code is trying to connect to a DB (I am using embedded into the template means to manage Individual Accounts which use ASP.NET Membership database) but if I try exactly the same steps (I am just entering my login and password in UI) then I don't have that error.

One more interesting thing: if I run my web site locally (just F5 in Visual Studio) - this issue doesn't come-up but the app is still set up with the same DB as my Azure published app. This might mean that the issue is not in the DB getting to sleep but some part of the web application, these are my guesses.

To me this looks like some server/service is warming up.

And, again, the original question is still open - how do I see the exception details?

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 3:14 AM
  • User-1763141223 posted

Also, you should take in mind that ASP.NET 5 is still in beta, and to install beta versions you will need at least Windows VPS hosting or Dedicated account.

I was able to install the app, therefore I guess I already have required account.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 3:16 AM