migration sql 2000 to 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• is there any guidelines for doing manual(without using tool) migration sql 2000 to 2008?
    Friday, December 17, 2010 11:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Suresh,

Please elucidate the problem , wht do you mean by without using tool . what tool are you talking about ?

regards
    Shamik

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Please visit this blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/blakhani/archive/2008/12/27/resources-migration-from-sql-2000-sql2005-to-sql-2008.aspx by Balumukund.

Not sure if that's what you need .

regards
    Shamik

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:13 PM
  • is there any guidelines for doing manual(without using tool ..like sql upgrade advisor) migration sql 2000 to 2008?
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:54 AM
  • Hello Suresh,

You can perform a side-by-side migration approach while, you are migrating from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008.

However, its strongly recommended that you should run SQL Upgrade Advisor on the databas you are trying to migrate, it will recomende all the steps you might want to perform before the migration. Another valid reason for side-by-side migration, your old system is still up & running while you can test your new system, in case you need to rollback, No downtime is required.

Hope, this may help.

SKG: Please Marked as Answered, if it resolves your issue.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:07 AM
  • I cannot use SQL Upgrade Advisor because i am having SQL Client only.I dont have server. 
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

Basically, you can use back up SQL Server 2000 databases and then restore them into SQL Server 2008 instance; or you can detach data and log files of SQL Server 2000 databases and then attach them to SQL Server 2008 instance. However, those tools like Upgrade Advisor can help you detect potential issues that you might encounter after upgrading to SQL Server 2008. For example, the existing database may use a feaure of SQL Server 2000 which might be removed in the SQL Server 2008.

The following whitepapers could help you better upgrade SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008:

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi N Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Feng (SQL) Monday, December 27, 2010 6:40 AM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:01 AM
  • Hello suresha,

Your jumping from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008, so it is recommended to take advises from Upgrade advisor as sundeep mentioned

1. What you can do generate trace (using profiler) file and on top that run upgrade advisor in your desktop.

Coming to installation part

1. Side by side also good idea only required more space...if you have more space you can do that...(I achieved 5 min down time)

If  want more help on side by side with minimum downtime..I can help you.

Regards

SNIVAS
    • Edited by SNIVAS Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:40 PM speal check
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:40 PM