none
EWS-Search - Exhaustive list of keywords RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to use the following method to retrieve emails

public FindItemsResults<Item> FindItems(FolderId parentFolderId, string queryString, ItemView view);

But I can't find the exhaustive list of keywords. (like To, System.Message.AttachmentContents ...)

Does it exist like somewhere on a microsoft webpage?

Thanks

Monday, May 9, 2011 4:18 PM

Answers

• I've never seen a exhastive list of the propertries Exchange indexs there ia http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd561977%28v=VS.85%29.aspx which list all the canonical properties within Windows that can be quired via AQS.

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by RadigouTD Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:37 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Are you making querys in English or Non-Enlgish queries ? different characters sets affect queries in the different ways this is why you should use the conical properties eg for subject you should use

System.Subject:"Fried Eggs"

Which should work (well it does for me) subject also does work as well in US English but other languauges may be an issue.

If you want to search the body/content i would just use

System.FullText:Watsui

This should scan accross all valid properties

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:48 AM

All replies

• I've never seen a exhastive list of the propertries Exchange indexs there ia http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd561977%28v=VS.85%29.aspx which list all the canonical properties within Windows that can be quired via AQS.

Cheers
    Glen

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

First, thank you Glen for your lights, I do appreciate them.

Yeah, I knew about this webpage, thank you anyway.

In fact my problem is that I have some troubles with some properties when i perform FindItems calls.

It looks like "real" folders (like Inbox) and "view" folders (like AllItems or a custom search folder I created) are not behaving the same way, plus some properties are simply not working and I can't figure out why:

Keywords

Inbox folder

AllItems

CustomSearchFolder

Content/Body

X

X

X

System.Message.AttachmentContents

V

X

X

Subject

X

V

V

To

V

V

V

System.Message.FromAddress

V

X

X

I saw on one of your article (this one) the use of the keyword Subject in a search request on the Inbox folder, so I guess it should work.

If you have some ideas about my problem, please let me know.

Thank you very much once again.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Are you making querys in English or Non-Enlgish queries ? different characters sets affect queries in the different ways this is why you should use the conical properties eg for subject you should use

System.Subject:"Fried Eggs"

Which should work (well it does for me) subject also does work as well in US English but other languauges may be an issue.

If you want to search the body/content i would just use

System.FullText:Watsui

This should scan accross all valid properties

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:48 AM
  • Awesome, the System.FullText property was exactly what I was looking for, and it works perfectly.

Thank you!

Last question: 

I'm also using extended properties, and so far I was using the SearchFilter class to perform searches on them. Is there any way to use the same FindItems call (with the string query param, AQS) to combine both FullText and extended properties, and without creating the Indexation in Exchange? (what SearchFilter class use involves)

Thank you,

Thomas

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:09 PM
  • AQS can only be used to search indexed properties because at the end of the day your not querying the Exchange Database your querying the content index which is advantageous. My advice with search is you need to be smart about it considering the amount of content that maybe in a user mailboxes eg legal professionals can have mailboxes that 10-20 GB + even the average information worker is push 2 GB use AQS to reduce the result set as much as you can and also reduce the amount of properties returned in the resultset to reduce its size then filter it yourself  client side. Eg it makes no sense to create a complex search filter that will reduce a result set of maybe 10-20 items to one considering the amount of time that would take to run on a folder with a large number of items. You should do your own testing though but from my experience AQS and some client side filtering gives better performance and reliability over complex search filters where your doing a sequential scan of mailboxes items and you relying on temporary restrictions to give you performance. You also need to consider the cost in terms of throttling on 2010 the more complex the filter the more cost and more likely that your search is going to be throttled.

Cheers
    Glen

Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:34 AM
  • I see.. I'm actually doing some research to design the communication part of a custom ERP. So mailboxes sizes combined should become even bigger than 100GB. I think I could create from the beginning some custom search folders based on those custom properties I was talking about(I don't need so many different custom search folders) and then do the fulltext search on them. I will think about filtering some results on the client side if I need to... Anyway, that's my problem ;)

Thank you once again Glen, I appreciate your advice based on experiences, it has a great value for me!

Thomas

Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:49 PM