Visual Studio 2013 Optional Features to Install RRS feed

• Question

• User166505692 posted

Hello,

I am installing visual studio 2013 professional edition on my development box and have question on what features need to install ..

I am going to develop a MVC or Web Forms Web Application which communicates to SQL Server 2005

I want to install only features that are required for development, please let me know if my understanding is correct

VisualStudio2013Features

Blend for Visual Studio --- NOT REQUIRED as I am not going to use HTML5 or XAML or WPF or Silverlight

LightSwitch -- NOT REQUIRED as I am developing only Web Application, nothing related to Desktop /Cloud

Microsoft Foundation Classes for C++ -- I am going to use C# 4.0, do I need this ?

Microsoft Office Developer Tools -- Not Required , I am not going to develop anything related to sharepoint OR MS Office, BUT I NEED TO CREATE CSV TEXT FILES, READING CSV Files -- I Don't need this right ??

Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools Not Required -- it installs SQL Server 2012 components, but my applications talks to SQL Server 2005 -- I might use Entity Framework , do I need this ?

Microsoft Web Developer Tools -- Required

Silver light Development Kit -- Not Required Application does not have any Silver light development/features --

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:33 AM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

If you only want the absolute minimum options to make an ASP.NET MVC application that easily communicates with SQL Server and nothing else, you really don't need any of these in particular.

Relating to your specific needs, they can be broken down as follows :

• Blend for Visual Studio - Unless you plan on explicitly using Blend to design your application, you don't need this.
    • LightSwitch - Not really needed at all.
    • Microsoft Foundation Classes for C++ - If you are using C#, you won't need this (as it is for C++ and not C#)
    • Microsoft Office Developer Tools - Unless you need to interact with Office applications, you don't need this.
    • Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - This could be useful if you want to actually access some of your SQL Server instances (similar to how you would within SQL Management Studio) within Visual Studio. If you have SQL Management Studio, you don't NEED this, but it can be handy.
    • Microsoft Web Developer Tools - Not completely required, but if you are building Web Applications, it could be helpful.
    • Silver light Development Kit - Not needed (pertains to Silverlight)

So really the only two that you might need would be :

• Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - This could be useful if you want to actually access some of your SQL Server instances (similar to how you would within SQL Management Studio) within Visual Studio. If you have SQL Management Studio, you don't NEED this, but it can be handy.
    • Microsoft Web Developer Tools - Not completely required, but if you are building Web Applications, it could be helpful.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:53 AM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

If you only want the absolute minimum options to make an ASP.NET MVC application that easily communicates with SQL Server and nothing else, you really don't need any of these in particular.

Relating to your specific needs, they can be broken down as follows :

• Blend for Visual Studio - Unless you plan on explicitly using Blend to design your application, you don't need this.
    • LightSwitch - Not really needed at all.
    • Microsoft Foundation Classes for C++ - If you are using C#, you won't need this (as it is for C++ and not C#)
    • Microsoft Office Developer Tools - Unless you need to interact with Office applications, you don't need this.
    • Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - This could be useful if you want to actually access some of your SQL Server instances (similar to how you would within SQL Management Studio) within Visual Studio. If you have SQL Management Studio, you don't NEED this, but it can be handy.
    • Microsoft Web Developer Tools - Not completely required, but if you are building Web Applications, it could be helpful.
    • Silver light Development Kit - Not needed (pertains to Silverlight)

So really the only two that you might need would be :

• Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - This could be useful if you want to actually access some of your SQL Server instances (similar to how you would within SQL Management Studio) within Visual Studio. If you have SQL Management Studio, you don't NEED this, but it can be handy.
    • Microsoft Web Developer Tools - Not completely required, but if you are building Web Applications, it could be helpful.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:53 AM
  • User166505692 posted

Hello Rion, thanks for your response. Well I have management studio installed on my machine so in this case I won't need Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools  but this tools inclueds "Entity Framework Designer"  -- can I just install Entity Framework Designer ? And also in future if I need any other options listed above I should be able to install by using modify/repair option from control panlel, am I right ?..

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:01 PM
  • User281315223 posted

I believe that you can download the Entity Framework related tools on their own :

I haven't personally tried modifying or repairing an existing installation of VS2013, but I would assume that it is like most and would give you the option to later install features that you may have initially declined should the need for them arise.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:32 PM