2003 Exchange Tools Installation Problem on Win2k3 Server SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install Exchange Management Tools on a windows server 2003 sp1. This windows server w/sp1 is NOT the exchange server. It is our IIS web application server. The reason we want to install the exchange tools on the IIS web application server is so that our web applications (via c# code) can create exchange mailboxes on our Exchange server using the CDOEXM.dll  That's what I've read you need in order to create exchange mailboxes.

The tools installation program always errors out complaining there is an issue with the current installed version of windows. I've googled the specific error message until I'm blue in the face and really haven't found anything that addresses this problem or that I understand.

When I hit the the "continue" button ignoring the initial error messages, and I get to the GUI where I select "Install Tools Only' option, I get another error message that prevents any further action

Error code 0XC0070052  (82): The directory or file cannot be created.  

I believe it's a service pack issue. Because I can install the Exchange Tools with out any errors on a Windows server WITHOUT sp1.

The Windows Server with the sp1 I'm having a problem installing the Exchange Managment tools has

IIS and the IIS Manager
    SMTP
    Admin pak for 2003 server

Do I need to install Exchange SP1 on the Exchange Server?

Is there another way to create Exchange Mailboxes without this CDOEXM dll ?

Has anyone else experienced this Exchange Tools installation problem?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, December 7, 2006 8:57 AM

All replies

• Well..my bad.

Actually it turns out the Exchange setup process was not able to communicate with one of our domain controllers. Which was one of the domain controllers that had a global catatlog. Once that problem was resolved, the Exchange tools installed with out a problem.

Thursday, December 7, 2006 10:21 PM