newbie to asp.net mobile applications RRS feed

• Question

• User-1484697202 posted

Hi All,

I am a novice in developing mobile web applications but considerable experience in developing desktop web application. I have few basic questions

1. Is it necessary to develop app using mobile controls and mobile forms??What if I develop site using normal web form keeping in mind the mobile screen size and resolution?

2. Where can I get a list of mobile browsers supporting HTML and the one's not supporting HTML?

3. How can I test my app in various mobile browsers?

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Monday, April 13, 2009 12:09 AM

Answers

• User1837974337 posted

answers to your questions:

1. Is it necessary to develop app using mobile controls and mobile forms??What if I develop site using normal web form keeping in mind the mobile screen size and resolution?

Microsoft provides bunch of controls separately for Mobile forms and web forms. we have much difference in both, like resources used, memory consumption, accesibility.. so on.. a Windows Enabled device has Windows Mobile OS in it, so only mobile controls will get executed in it. even though you take the screen resolution or anything into consideration the webforms controls doenot even get added to a windows mobile form. Even the browser i.e IE is also a light weight application, which cannot handle all the controls, so the controls are designed separately for mobile forms, and we have to make use of only those controls.

2. Where can I get a list of mobile browsers supporting HTML and the one's not supporting HTML?

the basic browser for any windows enabled device is IE, which is provided by default in the device. Other than that you have opera, safire mobile browsers, google android is a newbee ther. some browsers are OS specific, you can checkout the list for info over here

http://webtrends.about.com/od/mobileweb20/tp/list_of_mobile_web_browsers.htm

you can test your application by various emulators provided by visual studio itself, if you want to test the device specific, then you connect to the vendor of that particular cellphone and download the emulator compatible with Windows Mobile OS and can test with that.

Hope this clears your queries, if you have more you can post them, i'll try to answer your queries.

Happy Coding.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 4:48 AM

All replies

• User1837974337 posted

Microsoft provides bunch of controls separately for Mobile forms and web forms. we have much difference in both, like resources used, memory consumption, accesibility.. so on.. a Windows Enabled device has Windows Mobile OS in it, so only mobile controls will get executed in it. even though you take the screen resolution or anything into consideration the webforms controls doenot even get added to a windows mobile form. Even the browser i.e IE is also a light weight application, which cannot handle all the controls, so the controls are designed separately for mobile forms, and we have to make use of only those controls.

the basic browser for any windows enabled device is IE, which is provided by default in the device. Other than that you have opera, safire mobile browsers, google android is a newbee ther. some browsers are OS specific, you can checkout the list for info over here

you can test your application by various emulators provided by visual studio itself, if you want to test the device specific, then you connect to the vendor of that particular cellphone and download the emulator compatible with Windows Mobile OS and can test with that.

Hope this clears your queries, if you have more you can post them, i'll try to answer your queries.

Happy Coding.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 4:48 AM
  • User-1214797176 posted

Hi Surendra,

I am also new to mobile applications. I want a information , i want to test my website in Smart phone simulator which renders WML (upto my knowledge) , but i could not able to access my website , i am getting error Network access error: page cannot be displayed.

I got same error in Pocket PC emulator and i have given proxy settings and its working fine.

I know i have to give proxy settings in Smart phone emulator also, please tell me where can i give connection settings  or is there any method to access website in Smart phone emulator.

Thank you

Monday, April 13, 2009 7:23 AM
  • User1837974337 posted

You can place your connection string in web.config file and use them similarly as you do for webforms. even to test on any emulator you need to set the proxy setting and cradle the network connection just like you did on PocketPC emulator. all the emulator connections are similar.

Monday, April 13, 2009 7:45 AM
  • User-1214797176 posted

Hi,

Thank you for quick reply. From your post i understood the method which i follwed to give pocket pc connection may be wrong.

What i have done is , in pocket pc emulator i went to settings --> Connections -->  Edit my proxy server , there i have given my proxy address

and  then   settings --> Connections --> Advanced --> Exceptions --> Add new URL ,, there i added my system ip.

Is this the way to do??? if not please guide me where can how can i set my connection string in web.config file.

Thank you once again for quick response.

Monday, April 13, 2009 7:57 AM
  • User1837974337 posted

Checkout this article, this gives you correct idea on how to cradle your connection.

http://netcf2.blogspot.com/2005/11/networking-ping-emulator.html

Monday, April 13, 2009 8:30 AM
  • User-1214797176 posted

Hi,

Thank you for reply.  I have done this my pocket pc emulator, and i wanted to know how can i give connection settings for  Smart phone emulator???

Monday, April 13, 2009 8:46 AM
  • User1837974337 posted

for any emulator it is the same way to have the network settings. if problem exists might be a problem with the installation of the emulator. if you are making use of any 3rd party emulator then read the manual of it, it might help you out.

Monday, April 13, 2009 8:54 AM
  • User-1484697202 posted

Thanks a ton Surendra for answering the queries.

1. If we take mobile controls then lot of UI functionality cannot be achieved. I understand that's the limitation but was trying to find out if there is a way. Will writing code in xhtml for various devices help in anyway??

2.  Is there any browser which gives ajax support

3. Is active x support is there??

Happy Coding.

Monday, April 13, 2009 9:02 AM
  • User1837974337 posted

hmm.. so with your ton of Thanks has another Ton of questions... haha... jus kidding.

1. If we take mobile controls then lot of UI functionality cannot be achieved. I understand that's the limitation but was trying to find out if there is a way. Will writing code in xhtml for various devices help in anyway??

Ther's no other way of making use of another set of controls here, we need to jus make use of provided cntrls, i donno whether we have any third party controls vendor for mobile app dev. need to check out, but as of now no one is ther. and xhtml code works well with the mobile forms, you can relatively make use of it no prbs. if you are much concerned ab't increasing the UI much, you can make build urself a custom control and make use of it.

2.  Is there any browser which gives ajax support

The browser which comes with Windows Mobile 6.0 and its next version support ajax very well, these are the stable versions we have for windows mobile. below that it doesn't support.

3. Is active x support is there??

yeah Activex is supported. http://blogs.msdn.com/iemobile/archive/2007/06/20/ie-mobile-support-of-activex.aspx

Monday, April 13, 2009 9:32 AM
  • User-1152161251 posted

Hi All,

1.  Can we set Fit to screen /desktop  view property of browser programmatically ?

2 .If I use mobile controls and want to generate some markups dynamically then how can I achieve these ?

actually in normal asp.net label control is provides these things.

eg. lbldate.Text = "<b> Test date : </b><br/>"

Thanks In advance,

Fanindra
    Monday, April 13, 2009 10:40 AM