Basic Authentication in IIS 7 across domain RRS feed

• Question

• The project I work on uses web services (ASMX) hosted in IIS. We just got new machines which are Windows 7 - 64 bit.  I am trying to get the development environment setup and the product doesn't work because authentication isn't working.

On our old machines, IIS is configured only for basic authentication and the Default Domain is set to the 'other' domain which houses the application users. The machine itself is not in that domain, but it is able to authenticate users in the other domain.

On the new machine, it won't authenticate users from the other domain.  Also, an additional problem I have is that it won't let me debug if I don't have Integrated Authentication on, but if I turn that on, then the user credentials come over blank, since it is using my personal credentials instead.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Friday, March 26, 2010 4:07 PM

All replies

• See the announcements at the top of the forum to see where to post IIS questions.

John Saunders
    WCF is Web Services. They are not two separate things.
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:43 AM
  • More aptly...  Web Services are a part of WCF. WCF != Web Services.  But the point is correct that you should use WCF as the basis of your .NET services.

Friday, November 5, 2010 5:11 PM