none
Visual Studio 2015 script programing assist stopped working

Question

• Apparently my version of Visual Studio updated automatically. Yesterday when I scripted a web page I got program assistance. For example: when I started typing <asp: I would receive a drop down list of options. I am not longer getting this in either the formatting section or the script section of web page. I've looked for a setting to turn this back on but have not been able to find one. How can I get back scripting assistance that used to be available?

Thanks
    Chuck

Friday, November 25, 2016 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Chuck,

>>Thanks for the reply. My confusion on automatic updates was caused by the appearance of a new product called "Blend for Visual Studio 2015" which I did not install or did not install knowingly

You just mean, the project has been changed by you open it with VS Blend inadvertently. I think I could repro your issue in my side, I have created a web application in VS2015 Enterprise, and open it with Blend, then open it with VS2015 Enterprise again, the Intellisense displayed in Web.

And in my side, I could recover the Intellisense again, please refer to the following steps:

1). Close all aspx file in edit box.

2). Clean the solution.

3). Rebuild the solution. Then the Intellisense is enable again.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by qing__Moderator Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by efsPelican Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Chuck,

According to your description, VS will not update automatically, we need to update VS manually (Tools->Updates and Extensions).

Please refer to the following steps to reset your VS:

Tools->Import and Export settings->choose Reset all settings->next->choose the options that you want to reset-> finish

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 28, 2016 5:46 AM
  • Hi Oscar.

Thanks for the reply. My confusion on automatic updates was caused by the appearance of a new product called "Blend for Visual Studio 2015" which I did not install or did not install knowingly. I somehow launched Blend for Visual Studio 2015 instead of Visual Studio 2015 and several of my preference settings were different which made me think there was an upgrade. When I realized what happened I went back to Visual Studio 2015 and my preference settings [screen layout, etc...] were as I had set them but the editing features were gone.

I tried the import export reset with not success.

Without the editing features coding in Visual Studio is not much better than coding in a basic text editor. I have looked for options to turn this feature on and off but can't find anything. In SQL Management Studio this feature is referred to a IntelliSense. The reference to IntlliSense in Visual Studio 2015 does not seam to do much. I'm at a loss and I greatly miss the assistance it used to give me. I would appreciated any additional suggests you might have

Chuck

• Edited by efsPelican Monday, November 28, 2016 12:28 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 12:25 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

>>Thanks for the reply. My confusion on automatic updates was caused by the appearance of a new product called "Blend for Visual Studio 2015" which I did not install or did not install knowingly

You just mean, the project has been changed by you open it with VS Blend inadvertently. I think I could repro your issue in my side, I have created a web application in VS2015 Enterprise, and open it with Blend, then open it with VS2015 Enterprise again, the Intellisense displayed in Web.

And in my side, I could recover the Intellisense again, please refer to the following steps:

1). Close all aspx file in edit box.

2). Clean the solution.

3). Rebuild the solution. Then the Intellisense is enable again.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

• Edited by qing__Moderator Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by efsPelican Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:00 AM
  • Hi Oscar,

That fixed it. Thanks

Chukc

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:31 PM