none
how to improve the performance? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Gurus,

I am using asp.net 1.1 with the backend of oracle to generate the report for my organization. I am connecting to the oracle on the page load. Get the data from oracle and put it to the cache memory. So I can generate the report using the cache memory whenever the user selects the report. My problem is system slowing town too much now. it is taking 2 to 3 min per reports.

PS: the system connecting both sql server and oracle for some report. What are all the possible way to improve the system performance?

Your help is much appreciated.

Senthil
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need to move your reports to reporting component so you can just change connection string to connect to either Oracle or SQL Server.  The other option if you are in Winform create a .NET 2.0 addon that generates reports with the reportviewer control in VS2005.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response

now i have asp.net 1.1 and sqlserver 2000 and oracle 10g . I can ask my employer to install VS2005 reporting services. My question is,  can i connect the sql server 2000 from VS 2005 reporting services?. also can i connect the oracle from VS 2005 reporting services?.

your help is much appriciated...

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:33 PM
  • You have two options either contact Microsoft to get the free SQL Server 2000 reporting services so you can use it with both SQL Server 2000 and Oracle 10g or you can use the VS2005 reportviewer control in local mode which comes with limited support for Asp.net.  The first link is a thread covering how to get reporting services for SQl Server 2000 and the second is reportviewer code samples.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2644858&SiteID=1

http://www.gotreportviewer.com/

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:16 PM
  • thanks for your response.

I will do some R&D on this .. this is the good guidence... if i install the reporting service for sql server2000, does it affect any existing database?

Thank you much

Senthil

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:43 PM
  • No it does not affect the existing database performance because the execution is move to the reporting services and not your application.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:47 PM