none
more "dynamic" reports? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

I have an app that utilizes the built in reporting in VS05.  Within this report is a table listing some information from the database.  The issue I currently have is that depending on a few parameters, some columns in this table do not need to be shown.  My current work around has been to simply create a few difference report files (.rdlc) and decide which report to call.  However, this has started to snowball, and now we have about a dozen reports.  Furthermore, we want to manipulate the table a bit more, we want a visable "line" between each unique CowID. 

Do we need to start looking at a different reporting platform? 
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi DigitalFusion,

A couple of possibilities for you.

1. For the columns, you can use the Visibility property on the column and an expression.  IIF(Parameters!ParameterName.Value="xxx", true, false)
    2. For the Line. You might want to show only Unique CowID's with drilldowns by grouping on the CowID. If you still need a line, you can set the border based off of the group with an expression.
    Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi DigitalFusion,

A couple of possibilities for you.

1. For the columns, you can use the Visibility property on the column and an expression.  IIF(Parameters!ParameterName.Value="xxx", true, false)
    2. For the Line. You might want to show only Unique CowID's with drilldowns by grouping on the CowID. If you still need a line, you can set the border based off of the group with an expression.
    Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:56 PM
  • well now another option has been added, which will require me to have even more report templates.  Right now I have to have 16 different reports which all do the same thing, but display slightly different information from the database.  Three more options have been added, which is going to require a total of 80 reports!  This is getting a little out of control.  There isnt any way to create one report file, and have it dynamicly display or hide certain report items?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:45 PM