none
PowerPoint slide redrawing problems when shapes' settings are changed from a modal window dialog RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I use VS2010, .NET 3.5 and MS PowerPoint 2007. In my VSTO add-in I use modal dialog window to change some presentation shapes parameters on active slide like a border color and weight. I want to see every change in PowerPoint window in real time. I get access to settings via VSTO model but I don't see any modifications before I close modal window.

To refresh slide I change ActiveSlide to previous one and than get it back. However it helps only for slide pane. Slides thumbnails on Slides/Outline pane don't redraw.

I've already tried the following ways:

1. I've changed view type and got it back. All thumbnails lose their images and come to default blue color.
    2. I've hided my modal form and than showed it back. I received flicker screen. It's not good behaviour.
    3. I've tried to activate every pane provided by ActiveWindow.Panes collection. Nothing happens.

Is there way to get refreshed thumbnails without closing modal window?

Regards,

Mikhail

Friday, April 15, 2011 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Mikhail,

From wikipedia:

===

In user interface design, a modal window is a child window that requires users to interact with it before they can return to operating the parent application, thus preventing the workflow on the application main window.

===

Consider showing a non-modal window or a task pane.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Friday, April 15, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Hi Andrei,

I don't want to allow users interact with parent window (PowerPoint in my case) while they are working with modal one. That is why I've chosen modal form. All I need is response from parent (PowerPoint) window as refreshing its content (shapes on the slides) when user does something with modal form.

Friday, April 15, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Hi Mikhail,

The window procedure of a window cannot handle any window messages while a modal window is open. That's why your requirement cannot be fulfilled.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Monday, April 18, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Did you find anything Mikhail?

I need to do something similar.

There must be some work around using the Windows API. I'll post my findings here (if any).

Julien

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Julien, unfortunately I found nothind. The problem still exists.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:33 AM