Is there any viable screen mirroring method ?

Question

• Hi!

Im developing an device, which is meant to ( among other stuff ) mirror screen of my Windows Phone. That's it. The faster's the better. But ~5fps would be just fine. After a long trip through valleys of documentations and random topics, I've managed to find out its not that simple. As far as I know, creating a bitmap screenshots ( constantly ) in background is impossible ( ok, its possible, but I am allowed to make screenshots of my app, not others apps ). Actually any other programmatic way of mirroring screen is impossible. I see only two paths left ( please tell me I'm wrong ). Miracast or investigating "Project my screen" app. Second option seems to be problematic since, the device I'm developing have limited computing power, which is already taken by other processes. So the Miracast... the simplest way would be just buying a dongle, and that's it. Plug it to power, then simply pass HDMI signal to the screen. But the problem is, how will I create input to the screen ? My device have to mirror screen and touch input. Im getting out of ideas of solving this stuff. Isn't there really any viable way of mirroring a screen ? Thanks for answers !

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 5:00 PM

All replies

• “But the problem is, how will I create input to the screen?” I don’t think you can send input back into app, “project my screen” app just send screen to other device to display. There is a lot of work to do if you want to achieve this goal.

In the meantime, I don’t see any public API about your scenario, but I suggest you search this in OEM API if possible, maybe can find something useful.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:54 AM
  • Are you sure ? Miracast have UIBC ( user input back channel ). You can find two-way miracast connections examples movies at web :) So there is a hope. No matter how much work to do - it has to be done. About "Project my screen" app - I disagree. You are literally mirroring screen. I've checked it. I can use mouse on my PC to control my USB connected Lumia 820. I would love to hear, that such simple two-way connection is possible with Miracast. It would mean that including some Miracast dongle in my project is a solution.  It would be only temporary. After resolving every other problems I would buy access to Miracast documentation, and maybe manage to design own Miracast dongle :) It's too early to call it, but I think It's the only way. I've readen that Miracast have this UIBC... but I cant any information about it on sites with dongle's specifications. Would it work ?
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:44 AM
  • If I read it correctly you are trying to have a large Touchscreen connected as a phone's Touch Display. What exactlly is the scenario you'd want to use that setup in? The easiest way to go about this would likely be to build for Windows 8.1 instead of Windows Phone 8.1, buy a cheap Win8.1 Tablet and connect that to the Touchscreen via HDMI and USB. You can limit users to a single Modern App using Kiosk Mode there. This would definitely be the one with the best Touch response/frame rate/image quality.

In case you need more of the OS then I guess it would still be a possibility to use a Tablet and run the Windows Phone Emulator on there (which would have the added benefit of not being able to install additional stuff from the Store when people play around with it).

Thursday, March 12, 2015 1:01 PM
  • Solution is mobile, and it means to have a little touchscreen ~4" as a phone touch display :) The thing about this screen requirements is that my device will be "heavy duty". So will be touchscreen. High image quality and framerate are not my targets. Resolution will be pretty low, and framerate at level ~5fps would be enough. Mobility of device is also a key, so i cant afford applying additional tablet to a device which is meant to be smaller than tablet :)
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 1:23 PM