Local Connection API Underpinnings RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Silverlight app that currently communicates to a desktop service over a socket to allow tighter integration with some desktop features, much like SL4's COM capabilities only cross-platform. 3rd party firewalls can sometimes cause issues with the socket connection, however, so I'm curious whether the Local Connection API could be used instead. I realize this was intended for SL to SL connections, but it is apparently using named pipes underneath. Can someone (preferably from Microsoft) comment on whether a desktop service could be built to connect up to these pipes?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Snortblt,

I have a Silverlight app that currently communicates to a desktop service over a socket to allow tighter integration with some desktop features, much like SL4's COM capabilities only cross-platform. 3rd party firewalls can sometimes cause issues with the socket connection, however, so I'm curious whether the Local Connection API could be used instead. 

I'm afraid that it is impossible since Silverlight Local Connection is used to do the communications between  different Silverlight instances hosted in the same page. 

Best regards,

Jonathan 

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:51 AM