Cannot completely install VFP9 in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a clean installation of Windows 10 and cannot successfully install Visual FoxPro 9.  Setup goes almost to the end, but hangs instead of updating the Registry.

I am the only user, and I am an Administrator.  I have turned all the Bitdefender switches OFF.

I am installing from a CD, Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Professional Edition Disc 1.  I'm launching from setup.exe.

Setup starts and runs almost all the way to the end, but hangs -- apparently in a loop -- at "Setup is updating your system" -- presumably updating the Registry.  I have tried three installs.  Windows shuts down the setup process after about a half hour of "Setup is updating your system" with "Microsoft Setup Tool is not responding".  Then Setup reports "… setup failed … try re-running … visit Microsoft Developer Network …"

Lots of program files are installed, and vfp.exe will run if you double click it, but VFP9 and its associated tools are not registered.  Attempts to install Service Packs fail instantly because they cannot find VFP.

On two attempts I used the suggested default directories.

The third time, taking a hint from a post by Olaf post I specified C:\Users\Public\Visual-Studio for the Common files and C:\Users\Public\VFP9 for the program.  Setup wouldn't let me use C:\Users\Public\VFP9 in both places.  It actually put almost all of the VFP file in Program Files (x86) anyway, with just 9 HTMLs and a TXT file in Public\VFP9.  Windows shut this install down after 30 minutes of " Setup is updating your system".

When I launch VFP6.exe I get the message "OLE error code 0x8002801d: Library not registered."

I'm stuck and will be dead in the water without FoxPro.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:55 PM

Answers

• ALL SOLVED.  Thank you very much Tamar and Naomi.  I was trying with 6.  My VFP 9 was an Upgrade, and I'd kept the previous version as a proof of purchase.  Sorry to have troubled you.  Thanks again, sheepishly, Bruce.
    • Proposed as answer by Albert_Zhang Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:37 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:52 PM

All replies

• I'm confused. Are you installing VFP 6 or VFP 9?

Tamar

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, looks to me you were trying to install VFP 6.

Do you have installation media for VFP 9? I have it installed on my Windows 10.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:00 PM
  • ALL SOLVED.  Thank you very much Tamar and Naomi.  I was trying with 6.  My VFP 9 was an Upgrade, and I'd kept the previous version as a proof of purchase.  Sorry to have troubled you.  Thanks again, sheepishly, Bruce.
    • Proposed as answer by Albert_Zhang Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:37 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:52 PM