SQL server 2012 cluster failed (agent) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all, 

When I install SQL server 2012 cluster on Windows server 2008 R2 cluster, it failed into the information: 

The cluster resource ‘SQL Server Agent’ could not be brought online. Error: There was a failure to call cluster code from a provider. Exeption message: Generic failure. Status code: 5023. Description: The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

Click ‘Retry to Retry the filed action, or click ‘Cancel’ to cancel this action and continue setup.

SQL server Database engine was successful.  does anyone have a solution ? 

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Could you post what entries are in the Agent Errorlog located int he \Log folder?

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:24 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm getting the same error listed above at the tail end of the MSSQL Install.  Here's a snap shot of the SQL Error Log (below).  Looks like it's an issue with permissions in AD.  We manually created the SPNs listed in the output below and still no luck.  A little background, this is a MSSQL 2012 Standard installation on Windows Server 2008 R2 Cluster, where this is the second MSSQL Instance being installed.  The first MSSQL Instance installed successfully.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2013-05-14 09:42:55.47 Server      The SQL Server Network Interface library could not register the Service Principal Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/instancename.corp.name.com:INSTP2 ] for the SQL Server service. Windows return code: 0x2098, state: 20. Failure to register a SPN might cause integrated authentication to use NTLM instead of Kerberos. This is an informational message. Further action is only required if Kerberos authentication is required by authentication policies and if the SPN has not been manually registered.
    2013-05-14 09:42:55.47 Server      The SQL Server Network Interface library could not register the Service Principal Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/instancename.corp.name.com:51058 ] for the SQL Server service. Windows return code: 0x2098, state: 20. Failure to register a SPN might cause integrated authentication to use NTLM instead of Kerberos. This is an informational message. Further action is only required if Kerberos authentication is required by authentication policies and if the SPN has not been manually registered.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:56 PM
  • Hi btwebster,

The error from the OP and the one you posted are 2 different issues.  Error 1 looks like it's this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverClustering/thread/dfb642da-9e78-42de-a64e-10a46069fb7e

Error 2 comes about from the account running the SQL Server services not having permissions in AD to register an SPN.  Sounds like you've done it manually, so you shouldn't need to worry about it anymore.  Just check you're getting kerberos connections via sys.dm_exec_connections (auth_scheme column).

Thanks, Andrew

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Additional Info:

Since my previous post, we have updated the permissions of the service account I'm logged onto the server with so that it has permissions to create and/or update SPNs.  I got the same error, however the messages in the Error Log indicated it successfully registered the SPNs:

2013-05-14 10:05:03.44 Server      The SQL Server Network Interface library successfully registered the Service Principal Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/instancename.corp.name.com:INSTP2 ] for the SQL Server service.
    2013-05-14 10:05:03.44 Server      The SQL Server Network Interface library successfully registered the Service Principal Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/instancename.corp.name.com:51058 ] for the SQL Server service.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

Like I said, this error:

2013-05-14 10:05:03.44 Server      The SQL Server Network Interface library successfully registered the Service Principal Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/instancename.corp.name.com:INSTP2 ] for the SQL Server service. 
    2013-05-14 10:05:03.44 Server      The SQL Server Network Interface library successfully registered the Service Principal Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/instancename.corp.name.com:51058 ] for the SQL Server service.

Has nothing to do with:

The cluster resource ‘SQL Server Agent’ could not be brought online. Error: There was a failure to call cluster code from a provider. Exeption message: Generic failure. Status code: 5023. Description: The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

Click ‘Retry to Retry the filed action, or click ‘Cancel’ to cancel this action and continue setup.

SQL server Database engine was successful.  does anyone have a solution ? 

Did you look at the other link I posted?

Thanks, Andrew

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the quick reply.  The installation method that I used is the Advanced SQL Cluster setup (Preparation & Completion).  I learned that lesson a long time ago.  The account permissions as well have been set appropriately as well as we have ran into that permission issue in the past as well.  However, we are verifying the permissions again just to be sure.  We are looking into the SQL NetBIOS credentials now.  I'll let you know our findings.

Thanks,

Troy

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Turns out the AD permissions for SQL NetBIOS were not correct.  The update of permissions to the correct configuration resolved the issue and the MSSQL Cluster installation completed successfully.  Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks,

Troy

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:01 PM
  • I Found adding the SQL Agent service account to the local administrators group worked for me.
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:00 AM
  • You may see this at times when the VSO's replication hasn't completed.

yup

Monday, April 13, 2020 4:47 PM